Portable Daemon Tools-like program

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
portackager

Portable Daemon tools like program?

#1 Post by portackager »

I found myself needing to backup my games cds, I'm looking for a portable freeware that can mount the iso, so I can play the game like I was playing with the cd inserted. I know about this http://portablefreeware.com/?id=624, I was wondering if theres any others? I've had a problem with the driver not being removed, until a restart I guess because I tried to removed it while a cd was still mounted :roll:

eprimetime

I doubt it

#2 Post by eprimetime »

I HIGHLY doubt that you will find anything like this, because in order to make an image file visible as a drive letter, any program MUST install itself in the IFS (Installable File System) chain, which means a driver that must be installed on the local system.

berdar

How about

#3 Post by berdar »

VCD Control Tool

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/620/xp_s ... rning_them

I use this all the time. Not sure if it works with Vista or if you need Admin rights.

M@tty

#4 Post by M@tty »

Berdar, you linked to the exact same program that portackager originally mentioned... :lol:

XPect

#5 Post by XPect »

I've done such search a few time ago and only find the program from Microsoft you've mentioned.
On my knowledge, no free alternative at this time.

Regards

dandv

MagicDisc

#6 Post by dandv »

XPect wrote:I've done such search a few time ago and only find the program from Microsoft you've mentioned.
On my knowledge, no free alternative at this time.
MagicDisc from MagicISO has been around since 2006. Freeware, no reboot necessary. Just tested mounting two DVD ISO images at the same time on Windows XP. Flawless operation.
Last edited by dandv on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

XPect

#7 Post by XPect »

I've just tested it and for me it's not portable, it's asking for the mcdbus driver and I don't see any way to start the driver without installing the app.
How have you tested it ?

dandv

#8 Post by dandv »

XPect wrote:I've just tested it and for me it's not portable, it's asking for the mcdbus driver and I don't see any way to start the driver without installing the app.
How have you tested it ?
I don't know if MagicDisc is portable. It just installed without any sort of problem (or requesting any driver) on Windows XP SP2, and then worked perfectly.

Queue

#9 Post by Queue »

Making it portable would basically entail a launcher to install and uninstall the driver for you on demand and to make sure to keep the registry clean of any gunk using the driver would cause. It would also need to make sure not to disturb a local installation of MagicDisc.

If no one else does, I may get around to as much this next week; I've been wanting a portable disc mounter for a while and was sad that I couldn't get Daemon Tools running portably.

Queue

m^(2)

#10 Post by m^(2) »

It's not portable, but still useful. It's small and installs in a few seconds. Much more comfortable than the MS one. I even started to write a launcher that installs and uninstalls the driver automatically, but learning SetupAPI is not as quick as I thought, so I gave up.

XPect

#11 Post by XPect »

Ok I do understand better.
So yes the MS driver is the only one portable, but effectively, the magicdisk solution can be installed and uninstalled without reboot and could be useful regarding the number of format supported. Anyway it's leaving traces in registry.

Ameri-CAIN

#12 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

I would love a Portable virtual CD\DVD iso mounter as well, but having got used to the ease of VirtualCloneDrive, I doubt I will ever switch until something portable can work as nice.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

smartygeek

Re: Portable Daemon tools like program?

#13 Post by smartygeek »

Actually, I just thought of a way to make it portable. (This would only work if the person has Administrator rights) You could have a launcher that would launch Virtual CDRom Control Panel. (I am just using this program as an example) But before it launches that, it could launch a batch file that might be something like this:

copy "G:\Portable Virtual CDRom Control Panel\VCdRom.sys" "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\VCdRom.sys"

(Assuming G: is your portable drive)

Then when you exit the program, it could run another batch file that is something like this:

del "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\VCdRom.sys"

Do you think it will work?

kuihdez

#14 Post by kuihdez »

There is a program that is portable and does this. The only one I know.

It's WinMount

Search for it !

dot

#15 Post by dot »

kuihdez, WinMount certainly isn't portable. Not even the (illegitimate) "portable" version that can be found online is portable. Just tried the latest "portable" version of WinMount again and, after using it a few times, and after it restarted my computer several times on different occasions, I coudn't even delete the application folder because of "WinMTExt3.dll", even after unregistering that file. Luckily, FileAssassin (which is portable) managed to delete the file ;-). In addition, both, the "portable" and the normal install version of WinMount write a folder in the application data folder.

Of all the mounting tools that I tried and that conveniently and automatically create virtual drives at startup (unlike M$'s VCdControlTool, that doesn't), I found free "Virtual CloneDrive" (by Elaborate Bytes) to be the least obtrusive, especially after deactivating its automatic startup in msconfig (which makes it not mount the last used file on start-up, but still create the virtual drives on startup). Seems to be based on Daemon tools, but it's a lot lighter. Of course, it's not portable either.