Audacity - multi-track audio editor

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.

Replace Portable Audacity with the Portableapps.com version?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:03 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5

Enternal

Re: Audacity v2.0.5 can't change temp directory , help

#16 Post by Enternal »

The temp folder cannot be moved at all for the portableapps version. It's also a known problem (although it's not exactly a problem either) and is stated on the portableapps site:

Code: Select all

Local Temp - The temp directory is placed on the local PC within the %TEMP% directory. If there are no problems, it is removed when you exit Audacity Portable. If Audacity does not close correctly, you will be asked whether you would like to delete the files or leave them so you can restart Audacity Portable and attempt to recover your work.
I don't think you should be concerned about it since the Temp folder should be deleted afterwards anyways and if you have it on your USB drive, that's actually a good thing since it won't cause a lot of read/write operations on the drive.

"does the zip file include all the plugins of the portableapps?" They should be the same. It's just the portableapps version is a packaged version of the zip version you download from audacity main website.

giulia

#17 Post by giulia »

Enternal wrote:The temp folder cannot be moved at all for the portableapps version. It's also a known problem (although it's not exactly a problem either) and is stated on the portableapps site:

Code: Select all

Local Temp - The temp directory is placed on the local PC within the %TEMP% directory. If there are no problems, it is removed when you exit Audacity Portable. If Audacity does not close correctly, you will be asked whether you would like to delete the files or leave them so you can restart Audacity Portable and attempt to recover your work.
I don't think you should be concerned about it since the Temp folder should be deleted afterwards anyways and if you have it on your USB drive, that's actually a good thing since it won't cause a lot of read/write operations on the drive.

"does the zip file include all the plugins of the portableapps?" They should be the same. It's just the portableapps version is a packaged version of the zip version you download from audacity main website.
thanks Enternal
sadly the zip version doesn't work the theme ?
i mean i tried to save the theme folder but it doesn't recognize :(

JohnTHaller

#18 Post by JohnTHaller »

The TEMP directory in Audacity Portable will be updated to use a subdirectory of the TEMP directory of the local PC as you move between PCs. That way it will use the faster internal storage rather than the slower flash drive or external hard drive (only exception would be an external SSD via USB3 which would be faster). The subdirectory is removed as you exit the app so nothing is left behind.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

giulia

#19 Post by giulia »

JohnTHaller wrote:The TEMP directory in Audacity Portable will be updated to use a subdirectory of the TEMP directory of the local PC as you move between PCs. That way it will use the faster internal storage rather than the slower flash drive or external hard drive (only exception would be an external SSD via USB3 which would be faster). The subdirectory is removed as you exit the app so nothing is left behind.
hi i use in an external usb3 hard disk , that's pretty fast
so it's impossible to change the temp files , right?

may i ask what are the different between the zip file and the portable version

i mean i guess the zip version write only 1 registry key ,am i wrong?

robzuc

Audacity 2.1.0

#20 Post by robzuc »

SYSTEM

Re: Audacity 2.1.0

#21 Post by SYSTEM »

Thanks. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

Re: Audacity Portable

#22 Post by webfork »

I retested Audacity after having stepped away from it for some time and found it's come a long way. The whole thing seems faster, more responsive, and easier to use. Additionally, some minor interface changes also went a long way to bring the whole package together.
Last edited by webfork on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

shnbwmn

Re: Audacity - multi-track audio editor

#23 Post by shnbwmn »

Something interesting ...
  • Author wrote:A free sound editor, DarkAudacity is the well known Audacity® sound editor now with a darker more modern theme - and a few small tweaks. The audio engine underneath is the same audio engine.
  • Estimated arrival, end of August 2016.

stisev

#24 Post by stisev »

I am seeing folder written to C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Audacity\Session Data despite created the "Portable settings" folder.
The folder is empty, but man it's annoying.

I think this started with the latest version? Can anyone confirm?

giulia

#25 Post by giulia »

stisev wrote:I am seeing folder written to C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Audacity\Session Data despite created the "Portable settings" folder.
The folder is empty, but man it's annoying.

I think this started with the latest version? Can anyone confirm?
yes i do i run 2.1.2 and not 2.1.3 and i creates the folder
do you remember which version did not create this empty folder ?

and i have found in the past the way to customize the splashscreen but can't find anymore
thanks

zorro

#26 Post by zorro »

Current version (2.2.2) ist finally portable:
- extract the ZIP, create a folder "Portable Settings" inside the main Audacity-folder
- start Audacity and configure the temporary folder to point to "Portable Settings"
- quit Audacity and delete %LocalAppData%/Audacity
- eventually, on first saving, it creates an "Audacity" folder inside Documents - if you don't save there and don't use the location, delete the folder, it doesn't come back.
There's no more registry key!

Perhaps someting to add to the description: Audacity supports VST-Effects natively.

giulia

#27 Post by giulia »

zorro wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 am Current version (2.2.2) ist finally portable:
- extract the ZIP, create a folder "Portable Settings" inside the main Audacity-folder
- start Audacity and configure the temporary folder to point to "Portable Settings"
- quit Audacity and delete %LocalAppData%/Audacity
- eventually, on first saving, it creates an "Audacity" folder inside Documents - if you don't save there and don't use the location, delete the folder, it doesn't come back.
There's no more registry key!

Perhaps someting to add to the description: Audacity supports VST-Effects natively.
hi
an empty folder is still created in C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local and magically reappears
thanks

zorro

#28 Post by zorro »

...yes, I just realized it - but only after the third start :shock:
Very inconsistent behaviour. And: I changed the language to german, but after the folder appeared again the language changed to english and I'm not able to change it back (in settings it says "language -> system" and in the drop-down-menu there's only english although all language files in the installation are in place) :?:

Midas

#29 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Audacity v3.0 released 2021-03-17 (changelog at wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Category:Release_Notes).

juverax

#30 Post by juverax »

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/04/ ... use_group/
Audacity 'scared and excited' to be bought and brought under Muse Group's roof, promises to stay free and open source ...