Does Simple File Shredder work?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Andrew Lee

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just received an email pointing me to this link about Simple File Shredder.

I tried a simple test case for myself. First I deleted a text file and successfully restored it using Restoration.

Then I shredded it using Simple File Shredder and check that Restoration cannot restore it this time.

Does anyone else have experience or comments on this?

melyn

#2 Post by melyn »

I haven't tried Simple yet Andrew. The two I've used are CyberShredder and the shredding functionality of Omziff. What I've noticed is that CyberShredder takes ages to shred while Omziff does it in a flash. This leads me to wonder if all shredders shred as well as each other...?

ahoier

#3 Post by ahoier »

I'm guessing there are variations. Though, from the stuff I've read from method (the creator of the original PeerGuardian), he has stated that due to the new technology in newer hard drives, these large amount of re-writes are not necessary. I can't remember all of the specifics though.

But yea, I'm guessing different software will yield different results.

As far as Restoration, I managed to recover some pictures from my sister's camera memory card ;) But yea, I think that app is more geared towards users who accidently delete stuff from the recycle bin (yea, even I've done it. lol). So, I'm not too sure how "in depth" it searches for file matches and such.