Daemon Tools Portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
txus

Daemon Tools Portable

#1 Post by txus »

Well, I'm new here. I searched for some answers, but i couldn't find it.

I tried a daemon tools portable version. But, I've got problems with SDTP. This is a problem with a .sys file.
I guess I know the answer: if we can pack the .sys in the portable abdaleon, then, when we ejecute the application, the file will be there, with the application. But, I'm not a programmer and I'm not sure how to do it.

If this file must be in a special directory in order to get abdaleon working, then, we can pack it and make an .exe wich copies the file to the correct directory. When we exit the application, the same .exe erase the file.

I ask anyone of you to answer this post and discuss about it, 'cause i saw I'm not the only one with this problem.

I got an application to do portable installed programs. It worked with Fruty Loops, CuteFTP, FileZilla FTP, Adobe CS3, QuarkXpress 8, and many more applications. But, it failed against Daemon Tools. Perhaps I can upload to some server and you tried it.

Txus

PD: I'm from Spain, so my English is not real good. Sorry for it

freakazoid

Re: Daemon Tools Portable

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Hi txus,

Everyone here will say that Daemon Tools isn't portable because of that SDTP driver.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong!

If your image is an .ISO, you can use Virtual CDRom Control Panel:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=246

That's portable.
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

It is not portable ...
But it could be, I think (with an nsis launcher for example); it just needs administrator rights.

There is a copy around of a portable UltraIso that can mount disk images (and it works well). It's just that's illegal. It is on a blog with portable appz. :wink:

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

No way. Daemon Tools SDTP driver needs reboot - enough said.

txus

#5 Post by txus »

well, i knew about the Virtual CD. It just because I preffer Daemon, I'm triying to do it portable.

tow questions joby:
- you know how to program an nsis launcher?? Or, you would be able to guide me while I program it??? Administrator rights wouldn't be a problem. I'm always admin (if I'm not, I do myself admin :twisted: )
- where is that UltraISO version??? I don't really care if it is legl or not. Legally, my portable versions are illegals, 'cause i touch the program code without permision :roll: .

And tproli, are you really sure it is imposible??? 'Cause some people think it is imposible to run Windows XP on a Pocket PC with 32mb RAM, and I do XD...
Perhaps it's difficult, but, I think everything is posible if you try with enough effort....

Thanks

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

txus wrote:well, i knew about the Virtual CD. It just because I preffer Daemon, I'm triying to do it portable.

tow questions joby:
- you know how to program an nsis launcher?? Or, you would be able to guide me while I program it??? Administrator rights wouldn't be a problem. I'm always admin (if I'm not, I do myself admin :twisted: )
- where is that UltraISO version??? I don't really care if it is legl or not. Legally, my portable versions are illegals, 'cause i touch the program code without permision :roll: .

And tproli, are you really sure it is imposible??? 'Cause some people think it is imposible to run Windows XP on a Pocket PC with 32mb RAM, and I do XD...
Perhaps it's difficult, but, I think everything is posible if you try with enough effort....

Thanks
Everything is possible, but I'm pretty sure that if you're not a programmer, you'll learn to write your own faster than to hack DT to work portably. Anyway, busy years...

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

1. I have no idea how to make an NSIS launcher.
2. If tproli says it can't be done I'd take his word on it.
3. Do a google search on "portable appz" and that blog is the first result.

tproli

#8 Post by tproli »

I don't say it's impossible but very close :)

Napiophelios

#9 Post by Napiophelios »

You can always use an older version of Daemon Tools that doesnt use the STDP driver (version 3.17).

txus

#10 Post by txus »

old versions does't use STDP drivers???? really??

i hadn't try it, but I think i will do. Which is the last version that doesn't use STDP drive?

txus

#11 Post by txus »

I get it almost portable. The only problem is: Daemon creates an entry in the registry. Without this entry, it seems that will never work. But why???

I use Quark Xpress. It also creates an entry in the registry. But I do it portable and used on computers without that entry in the registry. And it works as well as in computers with the registry entry.

Can we get Daemon working without this entry???

Napiophelios

#12 Post by Napiophelios »

Most programs will recognize any required dlls so long as they are in their path or folder.
DTools v3.17 uses the registry to map the language dll's location.
without the registry entry it cant find the dll.
And I dont think regserver will register it either.

Even if you place it in the same folder right next to it it wont work without the registry entry.

Why dont you include the reg entry in your batch file?
Does it not work ?
Easiest way would be to include all the reg entries in a single ".reg" file and use your batch file to merge it.

way simple example:

regedit /S Data\install.reg
start /wait Data\DTools.exe
regedit /S Data\uninstall.reg
exit

of course you will also have to copy the dlls to the appropriate places with the batch file.

Seems you should use a NSIS launcher to replace your batch file for copying the files and
making/removing the registry entries once you get formula down.

I am a novice with bat files as well as NSIS so this is as about as helpful as I can get :lol:

GoodLuck.

m^(2)

#13 Post by m^(2) »

Napiophelios wrote:Seems you should use a NSIS launcher to replace your batch file for copying the files and
making/removing the registry entries once you get formula down..
Why?

txus

#14 Post by txus »

well, my bat file copy the .dll to the directory needed. and when you close, it deletes the file. i will try the same with the registry tomorro in the university. but, in my netbook, didn't work. i don't know why...

tproli

#15 Post by tproli »

Why do you think a driver installation requires only copying some dlls and updating the registry?