Software to enable/disable autorun

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Lupo73

Software to enable/disable autorun

#1 Post by Lupo73 »

Someone know a simple software to enable/disable autorun on various windows systems?
Otherwise we could consider to create it..because searching online I can't find a simple way to do it without manually work on registry..and could be useful for many users.

Cornflower

Re: Software to enable/disable autorun

#2 Post by Cornflower »

Many ways. Here is what I think is one of the easiest, and is found here on TPFC

TweakUI (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=497)
Click on My Computer, AutoPlay (synonym ofr Autorun), and undo the tick for any drive letters you do not want to allow autoruns.

I have used it for my XP and Vista Systems. I cannot vouch for Windows 7.

Further thought. I just did a RegFromApp, and the settings go to HKey_Current_User--at first glance there are no non-user-specific usernames, and so are login/specific. As I don't jump logins that often, it is not a big issue, but the real answer is that after it is done for one username, another utility or login script may be desired to be employed to transfer it to the other usernames and using a policy to add it to whomever logs in.

Lupo73

#3 Post by Lupo73 »

I'll try it.. anyway I'm considering the idea of creating a tool that only do it (even if actually I don't know how to do it).. with a very simple interface.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Here's a start :)

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vi ... utorun.htm and a simple example http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index ... opic=92360, though it's not my script! In Windows 7 it's alot easier to disable AutoPlay! But an app would help!

Cornflower

#5 Post by Cornflower »

Not to get too technical here, but I have it figured out, as algorithm, and someone can create the small single-purpose app, if one does not yet exist.
It is binary math using teh AND logical function that determines the drives where AutoRun is allowed.

Using RegFromApp and TweakUI, the registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer,
item NoDriveAutoRun is changed. It is a 4-byte Binary (hex) setting.

To disable all Drives, change the setting to "FF FF FF 03" Nircmd can do this via
nircmd regsetval binary "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" "NoDriveAutoRun" "ff ff ff 03"
( I believe you use nircmd from your earlier posts on other topics)

For any other combination, you have to do some work and a bit of binary logic. Each drive letter alters one of the 3 FF's in the binary above.
e.g. G: is BF FF FF 03 H: 7F FF FF 03, and I: is FF FE FF 03
G in binary is 10111111 11111111 ...
H is 01111111 11111111 ...
so G and H together become G AND H or 00111111 ... or 3F FF FF 03

All the rest can work. So if I were to (I will not have time this week, at least until Sunday) to write a mini program to do this, I would find out the binary for each drive letter, get the allow/disallow combo from whatever source or from a UI, do the AND of the Allowed drive letters, and then plunk it into the above registry key.

I hope this helps. I am not much of a programmer (no patience with programming languages, but am an old time tweaker.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

Lupo73 wrote:I'll try it.. anyway I'm considering the idea of creating a tool that only do it (even if actually I don't know how to do it).. with a very simple interface.
I understand that you want to keep it simple, but if you do it, it would be nice to incorporate a small tool to allow the easy-creation of [autorun.inf] files for customized mediums.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

@Cornflower, excellent with your RegKeys and an AutoIt GUI with checkboxes it's done!

Lupo73

#8 Post by Lupo73 »

We could study in various systems what parameters are changed (because I read that it is different for each win version) and than we could try to do something in autoit..
So are opened proposal to how design it, what features implement and go on.. :wink:

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

I found this: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.h ... unSettings, I will add if it's popular here!

Lupo73

#10 Post by Lupo73 »

It seems to be a very good program. I have contacted the author to have some more info and to know if he would like to eventually receive advices to improve it. Thanks for the link :wink:

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Simply because this thread came up again, I thought I'd point out two other programs not mentioned that will disable autorun.
The obvious advantage of using either one of these programs versus a program specifically for disabling autorun is is the wealth of other Windows annoyances they can turn off.

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

But I thought with those programs you suggest its literally just on off switch for AutoRun, you can't be specific with Drive Letters!

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

> But I thought with those programs you suggest its literally just on off switch for AutoRun, you can't be specific with Drive Letters!

You are right, guinness. I didn't see that. Both programs enable or disable it for the entire system.