looking for a program but can't find what im looking for :(

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
bluelotuspyro

looking for a program but can't find what im looking for :(

#1 Post by bluelotuspyro »

I'm looking for a portable program that i can have running and just drop files onto in either a tray icon or a floating icon and say if its a picture it will go to the designated picture folder if its a document it will go to the mydocs folder on my flash drive ect... you get the point... does anyone know of such a program? i have a u3 flash stick so if its u3 that would be cool but i can make it into a u3 program if i need to... or i can just use it like a normal program lol... either way anyone know of what im looking for?

Lupo73

Re: looking for a program but can't find what im looking for :(

#2 Post by Lupo73 »

Good idea :D ..I don't know about a program like this, but I could consider to create it :roll:

Lupo73

#3 Post by Lupo73 »

I have made a first test version of this tool, you can try it:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/Positioner.zip

Important: It is a not widely tested release, so could be have some bugs. :mrgreen:

opsimathic

#4 Post by opsimathic »

Thanks Lupo! I have appointed myself to the test team - it looks good so far.

/opsimathic

tproli

#5 Post by tproli »

Try TClock Light:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1490

It has such a feature, you can drag and drop files to the clock area in the system tray:

It can perform only one operation so maybe it's not perfectly the thing you're after.

Edit: nice app Lupo, thanks. Worked fine on XP SP2 English. Perhaps the drop box is too big and an option to copy files instead of moving would be nice, but in general I like it.

Lupo73

#6 Post by Lupo73 »

I did it in 2 hours, tomorrow I'll improve it more :lol:

ps: it allow for each file format to use a different destination folder..

-.-

#7 Post by -.- »

i like it too lupo :D

but it did trigger virus alert :S

Lupo73

#8 Post by Lupo73 »

It's a common problem of upxed programs. Anyway I have updated it to v0.2 and kept it not upxed (to avoid virus false positives):
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/Positioner.zip

Changes Version 0.2 [04-10-2009]
- added message to associate destination folder for new file formats
- added support of both copy and move modalities
- added support to drag & drop multiple files and folders at once
- added support to resize popup icon
- code improvements
- fixed some bugs

tproli

#9 Post by tproli »

Many thanks! You've made a handy utility in no time :)

donald

Great application ...

#10 Post by donald »

Love that little app.
Thanks for your work, and for sharing most of all.

In the interest of informing you and asking questions.
It does not recognize file extensions of more than 4 characters for me. (not a big problem though)

Settings, and Lock Position are grayed out on my PC.
Are these to be in a new release or could there be a problem with my computer, etc. (I did not catch a mention about them or even if they should be there.)

Please explain how I can set it to copy only rather than move as you say in your Readme.txt file:
This software allow to drag & drop files on its icon and move or
copy them in selected folders (differents for each file format).
EDIT*************************************************************************************************
also please explain the method to fix position using the ini file i (I am sure Position is editable just not sure if it can be fixed)

Also an explanation of the different file paths listed in the Readme.txt would be helpful.
Thanks for everything.
Your app is great!

wavechb

#11 Post by wavechb »

Many thanks!
But I find some question in using it:
1, Please let the program do nothing on the file that it's extension not mentioned in ini file, or give us a option to switch.
2, If the destination exist files have same file name with source files,give us a dialog to select overwrite or skip.

Firewrath

#12 Post by Firewrath »

So i heard about this and figured id ...borrow* someones net access *ahem* and stop by to check this out, (*Dont worry, im at a friends, :P)

Anyways,
this is a rather awesome app,
So its time for me to do that bit i tend to do,
...which is, in this case, make Lup dislike me cause of extra work, ;)

Ideas:
So i only got two really, cause like i said, its rather cool/nice asis,
but ...eh, im lazy at times and when i had constant net access, id just download some files to my desktop and then move then to whatever folder they went to,

So, having a shortcut to this on my desktop and being able to drag a file to it, then have the program start up, move/copy the file to a folder, then close, would be nice for those random 1-2 downloaded files, instead of having to go through the extra steps of open the program, drag the file to it, then closing it, (like i said, i r lazy, ;))
...and yes, i did try this before asking, it brought up some odd dialog box, which im guessing is going to be the 'Settings' sooner or later, (which clicking 'ok' caused an error in, and hitting 'cancel' just wouldnt close it, :P)

Also, ...and this is the one your probably not going to like me for, :P
Can you have it support moving files by name and with wildcards?

like ' *podcast*.* ' would goto a 'Podcast' folder while normal music files and such would goto a different folder,
cause i got some MP3s/WMAs id like to keep separate like that,

If you do this, you might want to add a check box to your 'Association Needed' dialog box to 'ignore unknown extensions for this operation'. This would allow whole folders to be dropped onto your program w/o your program popping up and asking you to setup folders for extensions that you dont want to, And would allow AFK operations for folders with a lot of files, when you only want to move some of them, (heh, IE: my 10gig download folder that id just like to pull the podcast out of, :P)
...and thinking about this before posting here, the option to ignore files by name would be nice too, ^-^;

(Edit: Seems wavechb beat me posting this idea, :P
...to extend on what they said though, the #2 option, about skipping/over writing files if they already exist in the folder, a checkbox 'for all files' option would be nice there too, to either skip or overwrite all files that already exist, again, goes to the AFK file sorting for big folders and the like when you already know what files your working with,)

Also while playing with your program while posting just to make sure i got things right, :P
i found the 'always ontop' bit to be a little annoying, so mebey a option in the settings to turn that off? ....once you get the settings bit added in anyways, :P

Anyways, thats it, ^-^;
like i said before, its a nice program,
and i cant wait to see what you do with it,
...and now im going to go before i think of anything else, ;)

donald

For suggestions ...

#13 Post by donald »

My suggestions.

How about an ignore file list?

Possibly a directory move option dialog (drag a folder such as Firefox Portable and be asked "Sort contents?" Or "Move as directory?" rather than just treating each file separately.)

Minimize to task bar and or a quick launch key combo to keep it handy but not in the way?

Crazily enough how about the idea of open folder, and select all or by file? (I do not know if this would be hard to do just a thought.)

Oh and you might want to put a link to your website in the about dialog, I can not find it anywhere in the readme.txt or the Changelog, or even the settings.ini file. (I know it has to be downloaded from your website but it seems appropriate)

Thanks for the application it is very cool.

Lupo73

#14 Post by Lupo73 »

So many advices.. please, go slowly :mrgreen:

Given that some users like my app, I have decided to improve it more and to release a version with actual improvements (given that you want wait more). Note only that I'm working faster than usual, so it could have some unattended bugs (it is a very young app).
So, here the download: http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/Positioner.zip

Changes Version 0.3 [05-10-2009]
- added ability to lock popup image position
- added message overwrite/skip if file already exists in destination folder
- added support to change popup image
- added window to manage destination folders
- code improvements
- fixed some bugs

More features coming with next releases (Settings window is not ready yet).
Please, help me to create the ToDo list reordering your advices.

ps: it is not available from my website yet, I'm working only here.. I'll add it in future.

-.-

#15 Post by -.- »

um, a simple thing i think but could you add stay on top feature? :D i switch to new window and loose it