Generic stealth launcher, with launch on startup.

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
donald

Generic stealth launcher, with launch on startup.

#1 Post by donald »

Generic stealth launcher, with launch on startup and hidden (not necessarily as in computer stealth but as in hidden from casual view).

I would like to find either an existing launcher or ask someone who is able, to make one, or mod an existing open source launcher.

What I mean by stealth I want to open a program either from USB or from HDD with a launcher on either. I want the launcher to open minimized and hidden.

By Hidden I mean not visible on the desktop or the taskbar, no icon etc.

One possible way to accomplish this would be to open a program like bosskey (It would need to switch desktops immediately after launch of hidden program) or other programs like minimize to tray (using the option to hide icons, and hide minimize to trays own icon)

I want to run some programs without letting the 'public' or anyone who I might let use my pc from noticing I use these programs (some have an annoying habit of shutting off my programs or just rebooting my computer)

I would like to try batch scripts and wrappers etc, but I would prefer something that could be set to automatically hide things and could then be set to launch on startup.

I would prefer if no splash screens or other were visible at all.

****One possibility would be to open a second monitor and to try launching to it (second monitor) then hide(launched programs), finally closing extra monitor etc.

I think I am not alone in wanting this for some of my favorite "leave it running" applications.

Before you comment I have tried on PStart, and no go so far for me.

I know it should be impossible to hide from task manager etc I just want to hide it from casual users who would just shut down my programs (wife, children, etc)

alanbcohen

#2 Post by alanbcohen »

You aren't asking for anything particularly unusual, so long as you are willing to have an entry on the Notification area of the Task bar. Personally, I use the PortableApps Menu R34 mod variant on USB drives, USB sticks, SD cards, and in my user directory on my client's machine (where I do not have Administrator rights). It starts minimized, starts several critical (for me) other apps and stays out of the way. As you requested, it does not have to stay visible and is unlikely to draw sufficient attention from another casual user to have them close it. While the copy I use on my client machine is in my startup group, on other machines, I start it from an explorer window (or the popup on insert for USB devices).

MiDoJo

#3 Post by MiDoJo »

By Hidden I mean not visible on the desktop or the taskbar, no icon etc
I think OP want not even notification bar

That said, this would lead to a very suspect use (though I'm sure Original poster has the best intenttions) this could TOO easily be used for malicious purposes.

i.e. lets say that this completely invisible program also has the ability (as does pstart and other existing portable menus) to launch a program (or multiple programs) upon startup it could basically be a payload dumper that was virtually impossible to detect.

donald

payload dumper?

#4 Post by donald »

what exactly is a payload dumper?

I don't mind needing admin access if that will help, but I prefer to not need that.

I just want my applications left alone to do what they are supposed to without interference.

I also don't want to have any visible sign of the applications running to a casual observer.

I mean just what I said about no visible record on screen what ever you call it a notice, icon, splash screen, traybar entry nothing visible without using process manager or having the hot key needed to show the applications.

I just want my apps to run even after a reboot without any of the unwanted users shutting down my apps

I currently run my apps with bosskey to hide them but with a restart everything has to be manually restarted or it can be seen and shut down

try utorrent and eraser for specific programs utorrent is a great way to download a linux system or 10 and other legal downloads like the KitchenSink etc and eraser is just great for privacy and keeping a drive clean

alanbcohen

#5 Post by alanbcohen »

This is what I was responding to:
<q>I just want to hide it from casual users who would just shut down my programs (wife, children, etc)</q>

With the OP's later message, it looks like he want's spyware. Sorry, that isn't what he asked for originally. I would not have replied.

MiDoJo

#6 Post by MiDoJo »

alanbcohen wrote:This is what I was responding to:
<q>I just want to hide it from casual users who would just shut down my programs (wife, children, etc)</q>

With the OP's later message, it looks like he want's spyware.
Yup that's my worry for the usage by other parties. Again I'm sure the OP has the best intentions as he is a member here and has been posting previously. . . but I can see others as using it in this way.
what exactly is a payload dumper?
just that, spyware or worse yet trojan-like behavior

m^(2)

#7 Post by m^(2) »

Code: Select all

Run,%1%,,Hide
It's autohotkey program that does a part of what you request - runs the program specified in the command line without any visible windows. It doesn't prevent it from creating a tray icon.

ashghost

#8 Post by ashghost »

The tray icons are really the only problem, here - there are plenty of ways to hide windows. There are also plenty of apps that will minimize windows to a single system tray icon. There are only 2 that I've found that will also hide that icon, only one of which can also automatically hide a list of applications every time they're launched: 4T Tray Minimizer PRO ($19.95)

Code: Select all

http://www.lifesniffer.com/product/blindbosskey-pro/index.php?ID=2
The AutoHotKey help file offers an example script to hide windows to the tray using a hotkey. Since there's an AutoHotKey command to hide the scripts own icon, you could probably modify the sample to do what you want.

I'm going to stop procrastinating with this wild goose chase now ;)