Looking for an audio player with "sleep" function.

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Onesimus Prime

Looking for an audio player with "sleep" function.

#1 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Hey all,
I'm trying to find a portable audio player for Vista that has a "sleep" function - i.e., it'll play music for a certain amount of time, then stop. Kind of the opposite of some of the "alarm" programs on here. (Great for when you're trying to go to sleep, hence the name!)

Anyone know of such a program in TPFC's database (or not) that can do this?

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

I've just tested AIMP2, 1by1, Billy, Evil Player, foobar2000, Soprano, Spider Player, Trout, XMPlay, The KMPlayer, VLC, and Media Player Classic (I really have to weed out some more of these :) ).

AIMP2 supports a sleep mode out-of-the-box: click on the clockface in the "now playing" display to reach the "AutoShutdown Settings". Options include closing the application at a specific time, an elapsed time, or after a specific number of tracks.

foobar2000 has a very powerful "scheduler" plugin that I've used before (available here: http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/show.php?id=65 ), but it's not nearly as easy to set up.

The KMPlayer claims to support Winamp 2/5 plugins. I'm positive there's a sleep timer plugin for Winamp.

I was really surprised that none of the others seem to include the option.

EDIT: added links to TPFC entries.

Leif

#3 Post by Leif »

Billy: Edit | Tools: Sleep Timer
The KMPlayer: F2 | General | Repeat/Playlist: General

Sleep tight! ;)

perwhis

#4 Post by perwhis »

Hi there! How about the program Shut Down Timer? You find it here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=930.

I use it from time to time to shut down my computer when I have finished downloading a large file... but it should also work for you to shut down more or less any program. Therefore you can use your favourite music player, and still get the sleep function. (It will not be able to fade the music slowly though.)

Cheers!

Onesimus Prime

#5 Post by Onesimus Prime »

Wow, guys! Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll take a look at these...