best way to create a basic app?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
garbanzo

best way to create a basic app?

#1 Post by garbanzo »

i'm no programmer. i learned BASIC in high school, but that was a very long time ago.

i want to try to try to write an app, because i have searched and searched and cannot find what i am looking for. i just want one window filled with a dozen or so buttons. each one is assigned to a single unicode character (maybe via an INI file). clicking on a button pastes that character where the cursor is.

what is the best way to do this? autoit? autohotkey? something else? how difficult would such an app be to create? do i stand a chance at this?

thanks!

I am Baas

#2 Post by I am Baas »

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ ... #msg101263

You could customize this script to your liking.

garbanzo

#3 Post by garbanzo »

well that looks handy, thanks Baas. should do the trick :)

Cornflower

#4 Post by Cornflower »

I use Skrommel's Accents program, also on DonationCoder

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/#Accents

With this one I simply put the special characters into the accents.ini file. I then use my little used reverse accent key (`) to generate the character I need

[7]
key=`
1=¤
2=other odd character here
3=·´¯`·.¸¸. ><((((º>

3 presses of the ` key give the first item, four the second, and five the fish in this example.

garbanzo

#5 Post by garbanzo »

thanks cornflower. i tried that one ages ago, but i remember it didn't work well for my purposes... i think it didn't have unicode support?

Cornflower

#6 Post by Cornflower »

It appears you are right--it may be because it is in an.ini file, so that even if I save as unicode, it does not want to respond correctly.

m^(2)

#7 Post by m^(2) »

You can try PowerPro. I'm not sure how are it's GUI creation capabilities, but I use a simpler form what you're looking for - got some unicode characters in my snipplets menu, which I created w/out even touching the code.

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

Jónapot kívánok!

Check out International Keyboard, UniKey and WGL4Key @ http://home.datacomm.ch/t.bigler/utils.html

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

@ garbanzo

I see you have got Easy Unicode Paster crafted for you. Are you a .net converted? :D

The guys over at DC are nice and very helpful.

garbanzo

#10 Post by garbanzo »

hey baas,

your hungarian is excellent!

i installed .NET to try out the shiny new app that Eric made. i might keep it installed. i have a handfull of other apps that i'd like to use as well, but i've been holding out. i need to get over this fear of installing things :)

and you're right, they were incredibly helpful over there! those guys must really like coding. it was just a matter of hours after i made a request that the app showed up, exactly how i wanted it. amazing :)

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

My old man is from Budapest but my Hungarian sucks big time... except for swear words :lol: