Portable 7-Zip

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
gp_hbk

Portable 7-Zip

#1 Post by gp_hbk »

[Moderator note: this is the primary 7-Zip thread. View database entry]

----

I've tried X 7-zip from WinPenPack and Portable 7-zip from Office Center EPJ. Neither of these seem to work.Maybe it's because I had installed 7-zip earlier. I'm particular about 7-zip as it's just the best. The command line version is portable :roll: but it is a pain in the brain to remember all the arguement switches. Do any of you know a sure solution to package 7-zip as a portable app?

nycjv321

yea i use it on my jumpdrive

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

check it out the site is in french but the app in in english

website
http://fredericcombe.free.fr/download/p ... /7zip.html

click on the floppy image to download

gp_hbk

Re: yea i use it on my jumpdrive

#3 Post by gp_hbk »

nycjv321 wrote:check it out the site is in french but the app in in english

website

This one works fine. It ought to be in the database.
I could try updating the package with 7-zip 4.42.
Anyway,thanks a lot :D .

gp_hbk

Re: yea i use it on my jumpdrive

#4 Post by gp_hbk »

nycjv321 wrote:check it out the site is in french but the app in in english

website

I tried updating the package with version 4.42 and it still works perfectly.You really should submit this to the database.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

However, from time to time, under Win2K, I get this error message when quitting the program:

Code: Select all

Cannot import [USBPATH]\settings\backup\7-zip.reg: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.
I check the "backup" folder and 7-zip.reg is not there. Instead it is found in the "settings" parent folder only.

Anyone encountered the same problem?

gp_hbk

#6 Post by gp_hbk »

You should have creditted this to "nycjv321".
You should also have mentioned that you can use version 4.42 instead of 4.32.
The link in the database entry is dead.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks for letting me know! I have updated the database with the right contributor.

However, the version of 7-Zip distributed with Portable7zip appears to be V4.32. So I will stick with that version number for now.

gp_hbk

#8 Post by gp_hbk »

Andrew Lee wrote:Thanks for letting me know! I have updated the database with the right contributor.

However, the version of 7-Zip distributed with Portable7zip appears to be V4.32. So I will stick with that version number for now.
It works fine even with 7-zip 4.42.You just have to replace the files in the sub-folder.You can check that out if you want.

nycjv321

Thanks Andrew! and yes you can change update the files ..

#9 Post by nycjv321 »

from 4.32 to 4.42 just make sure the file names stay the same (e.g. 7z.exe to the newer version 7z.exe so not to create conflicts with the portable launcher (this worked with me)

banana_1

#10 Post by banana_1 »

I've made a no-install version of FilZip using Universal Extractor : if interested here's the LINK ; it's only 1.36 MB (compressed) but if anyone feels like it can reduce it a little more.

Fluffy

#11 Post by Fluffy »

banana_1 wrote:I've made a no-install version of FilZip using Universal Extractor : if interested here's the LINK ; it's only 1.36 MB (compressed) but if anyone feels like it can reduce it a little more.
Perhaps you should have posted this in a more appropriate thread, such as making a new one. :) But for now, what advantages does your no-install version have over, say, someone using UniExtract to grab the files themselves?

banana_1

#12 Post by banana_1 »

If someone's not a UniExtract's expert can get the file here. You can bypass if not interested , that's for sure....

Cantello

#13 Post by Cantello »

Hi there!

I have currently installed 7-Zip portable on my HD (soon to be on my new Cruzer Titanium) and whenever I run 7-zipPortable.exe, 7-Zip starts, but always with the standard settings. I change something, i.e. the language, close 7-Zip, restart it and it has reverted to the original settings. Same for the columns, window position, etc.

I have 7-Zip installed on my computer as well, could that interfere? Or maybe there are certain files that might be write-protected?

Somehow the .reg files are not correctly im-/exported from and to the registry. If I change the language directly in the reg file, for example, it will be reverted to standard the next time, I start it, and after that my local installation is broken, too, but when I make changes there, they stick.

It's 7-ZipPortable and the regular 7-Zip, both version 4.42.

Any idea what could be causing this? Any help appreciated!

Helge.

nycjv321

#14 Post by nycjv321 »

what portable 7-zip are u using? if ure not using the Portable Apps 7-zip then try that build of it if not then delete ure current "portable" install then download a new one

Cantello

Re: ...

#15 Post by Cantello »

nycjv321 wrote:what portable 7-zip are u using? if ure not using the Portable Apps 7-zip then try that build of it if not then delete ure current "portable" install then download a new one
Yep, I'm using the one from portableapps.com. Just re-installed it and it still does not save the settings... :-/