lightweight portable email client?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
dreamz
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:30 am

lightweight portable email client?

#1 Post by dreamz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:04 am

i'm looking for a lightweight portable email client with imap support. this is for use with gmail. i'd rather not use a 20mb program for something so basic.

i like thunderbird, but it's not exactly light. i've tried the usual programs: iscribe, sylpheed, emailaya, koma mail, etc., but they either do not work very well or are not light.

what do you suggest?

thanks!

cmmehl
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:26 am

#2 Post by cmmehl » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:29 pm

What's your problem with iscribe or komamail? Have configured both successfully for use with gmail from the USB-stick, both are extremely light and efficient. Iscribe is a bit faster than komamail.

Cheers
Chris

dreamz
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:30 am

#3 Post by dreamz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 pm

my two main problems are connectivity and size. the connection isn't reliable (plus i can't get them to grab my gmail folders/labels) and the program directories tend to balloon to unreasonable sizes (koma mail topped 100mb and iscribe is just under 40mb right now).

User avatar
MiDoJo
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:36 pm

#4 Post by MiDoJo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:55 pm

What about PopCorn? it's only 1/2 MB
TPFC Popcorn Comments wrote:Popcorn will use SSL, but you need a third party SSL dll/program installed already. The above program's website links to OpenSSL. This should work. I did not download from OpenSSL, however. I had downloaded OffByOne before, which gives you the option of downloading the OpenSSL binaries with your OffByOne download. I copied over the two files (libeay32.dll and SSLeay32.dll). And when inside Popcorn, when going into tools|programs /settings info, I get the message "SSL encrypted server communication is available:" and then it lists the 2 dll files.

As to how to enable gmail, gmail allows POP access. Check out http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=13273 on how to enable POP access from within your gmail account and http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=12103 on how to set up your email client to log in and get your email.


EDIT:NEver Mind you said IMAP anything IMAP will be large. ummmm iscibe is only 1mb (5-7 "in operation") umm I have one more (set of) suggestion(s)

WEB BROWSER LOL

HappyPCGuy
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: london

Re: lightweight portable email client?

#5 Post by HappyPCGuy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:50 pm

dreamz wrote:i'm looking for a lightweight portable email client with imap support. this is for use with gmail. i'd rather not use a 20mb program for something so basic.

i like thunderbird, but it's not exactly light. i've tried the usual programs: iscribe, sylpheed, emailaya, koma mail, etc., but they either do not work very well or are not light.

what do you suggest?

thanks!
how bout thebat? i think it is portable.

Sesam
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:41 am
Contact:

Try Foxmail

#6 Post by Sesam » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:46 am

Try Foxmail v 6.5 beta2
Install is in chinese, but if after it erase files *.lgb from main directory, Foxmail will be in English.

User avatar
sanb
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: Moscow

#7 Post by sanb » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:56 am


rengab
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:44 am

popcorn

#8 Post by rengab » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:48 am

try popcorn

been using it

bob92132
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 8:29 am

Re: lightweight portable email client?

#9 Post by bob92132 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 am

Check out DreamMail. It is portable and runs smoothly and efficiently with a native Windows GUI and without needing any extra platform dependencies (no need for .NET or anything else). I tried all the other alternatives already mentioned in this thread - then found DreamMail - and found it to be the best in terms of features, simplicity, interface, portability, speed.
http://www.dreammail.eu/

User avatar
SYSTEM
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: lightweight portable email client?

#10 Post by SYSTEM » Sun May 19, 2013 8:02 am

bob92132 wrote:Check out DreamMail. It is portable and runs smoothly and efficiently with a native Windows GUI and without needing any extra platform dependencies (no need for .NET or anything else). I tried all the other alternatives already mentioned in this thread - then found DreamMail - and found it to be the best in terms of features, simplicity, interface, portability, speed.
http://www.dreammail.eu/
Please, don't respond to questions asked nearly five years ago.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

User avatar
I am Baas
Posts: 4148
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 am

Re: lightweight portable email client?

#11 Post by I am Baas » Sun May 19, 2013 8:44 am

SYSTEM wrote:Please, don't respond to questions asked nearly five years ago.
That^ +1
And it's already in the db @ http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=863
Bəəs 2.0

Post Reply