AutoPatcher

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Ameri-CAIN

AutoPatcher

#1 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

I stumbled across this program, and I can't remember where I saw it. I either saw it as one of the google adds on TPFC, or on Lifehacker, but it seems like a damn good idea.

From the FAQ on the AutoPatcher website...
General

Q: What is AutoPatcher? A: AutoPatcher could be described as an offline Windows Update. AutoPatcher provides an interface to a large collection of updates, common applications and registry tweaks, that can be easily and quickly applied to your computer system. Q: What are the advantages of AutoPatcher over Windows Update? A: The main advantage is that you just have to do one download in order to have all the patches and add-ons, such as Sun Java, MSN Messenger 7.x and Windows Media Player 10. If you have many computers or if you format your computer frequently, it saves both time and bandwidth. With AutoPatcher, you can install critical patches offline, eliminating the risk of getting infected while using Windows Update. You can also come in handy when updating a friends PC, if he/she can't access the Internet (or uses a narrowband connection). Q: Where can I find more information on AutoPatcher? A: You can visit the official forum here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?[/b]showforum=89, and the official website here: www.autopatcher.com Q: Is AutoPatcher legal? A: Yes, Antonis Kaladis (our project manager) once spoke to a Microsoft employee and apparently they know about us but don't care what we do! The AutoPatcher project has been going strong since 2003 and never had a sniff of trouble from Microsoft.

Q: Can i use AutoPatcher from a CD/DVD/Flash drive/external hard drive? A: Yes, simply copy the contents of C:\Program Files\AutoPatcher (default location) over.
Here is a link to the FAQ which is worth looking through if you are interested in trying this app.

http://www.autopatcher.com/faq/

There is a link to the home page of the site in the quote above.

I will be trying this out over the next couple of days. If anyone has used it, or has more time to test it than I do at the moment, don't be shy to comment.

fromthesticks

Works very well

#2 Post by fromthesticks »

I have used this program in one form or another for the last year and a half or so. It has undergone many changes after Microsoft issued a cease and desist. But of all the versions I have used I have loved every one of them. They make it very nice for reformatting Windows, especially since I am on dial-up. Love Autopatcher and recommend to everyone I meet.

guinness

Re: AutoPatcher

#3 Post by guinness »

V1.1 (04 November 2009) is available
My friends, i'm proud to announce that reached one major milestone about AutoPatcher Updater: our download mechanism was completely replaced by cURL. This new engine allow us deal with an ancient flaw: the ability to deal with proxies. Yes, we are not joking, APUP has now the ability to deal with proxies, including those that require authentication. Even more, now you have the ability and the control to do an autorun feature: if you wish, apup can remember your script selections and download those script without any question. Also we already said, there's an serious job being done and I believe that yours will like it :)

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

V1.3 available!

TESTED: Undecided

Configuration files saved in the applications folder, but 2 files are added to the %WINDIR%\System32 folder (MSWINSCK.OCX & aamd532.dll) plus Registry Entries that register the 2 files above are added to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.

But the settings and executables (apart from 2) are Portable. Plus the program is useful when you setup a new system and want to download the updates prior to setting up your new system.

Useful: Yes
Portable: No

What do others think should it be added based on the programs features?

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

V1.3.0.1 is available.
Any ideas of AutoPatcher should be added? It's very useful to TechAdmin when reinstalling Windows!

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: AutoPatcher is still getting updated, latest release is v6.2.22 (no changelog found; site at http://www.autopatcher.net/ devolved into forum only, download link is first forum entry).