Applications to create cursors (.cur and .ani)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
MadBrozzeR

Applications to create cursors (.cur and .ani)

#1 Post by MadBrozzeR »

Does anyone know some applications for creating cursors? I've just found only SnIco Edit, byt it has bugs...

Cornflower

#2 Post by Cornflower »

GoldIcon (http://www.goldshell.com/goldicon/main.htm) says it handles cursors, thoughI've nover played with cursors myself. Dependency Walker shows only Windows-native dlls, and I keep GoldIcon on my USB, but quite frankly, I've never tested it for registry entries.

I like it because it is very easy to use and has an intuitive feel.

MadBrozzeR

#3 Post by MadBrozzeR »

Oh... it's everything is great except one thing: 16 colors only =(
But everything else is just perfect: small, easy, portable, no registry entries found (with MJ Registry Watcher) - just what I'm looking for.
Thanks a lot! =)

grannyGeek

#4 Post by grannyGeek »

GreenFish icon editor can create static cursors, with 16 m color, and even alpha-transparency. Pretty comfortable to use, too.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =greenfish

I don't know of any portable software that does animated cursors, but I think I'll go poke around and see what's out there.

grannyGeek

#5 Post by grannyGeek »

Oooo.
This looks nice, I'll have to test it when I get home tonight.
http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-maker

Freeware, and says
The program was designed to be installed by a simple copy command, there are no registry entries or system files required to run. The result is an application that can be installed without administrator permissions (you must of course select an installation folder where you have write permissions such as Desktop or My Documents).
If it really is "portable", sounds like a good candidate for the database here.

MadBrozzeR

#6 Post by MadBrozzeR »

grannyGeek,
Both apps is quite interesting. Tried to create simple ani file with greenFish, and it's working.
RW Cursor Editor has many unnecessary functions, such as 3D model tool, scan capture, mouse gestures. It's funny, but why??)) It gives a size of 25 Mb. By the way, during installation I rejected one registry change:

Explorer Settings
Registry Key hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer
Value GlobalAssocChangedCounter (N) wants to change from
75 to 76

I don't know what was that. And it created shortcut on the desktop without prompt (or may be elsewhere).

But one thing I find very useful for me. Just reaized that I can't access my mouse settings in control panel (I have many problems with my Vista), but now I can do it with RW Cursor Editor =)))

Thank you, grannyGeek!

grannyGeek

#7 Post by grannyGeek »

Wow, I didn't realize RW Cursor Editor was so HUGE.
I noticed on their site that the "3-D modeling" is a 30-day trial/demo feature, I wonder if it is a standalone module that can be eliminated from the installation if I don't want it (and I don't)

I'm still planning on trying it out, and gonna google for more software later.

That strange Registry key is specific to Vista, and even the Microsoft Knowledge Base doesn't have any info about it.

Glad the install fixed your control panel problem, though. :-)

Back in Win95 / 98 days, I used a primitive little tool called AniEdit, and I just discovered it is still out there. But trust me, it is way more work than it is worth.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/techne ... NIEDIT.EXE
http://www.anicursor.com/download.html

appsuser

#8 Post by appsuser »

grannyGeek wrote:GreenFish icon editor can create static cursors, with 16 m color, and even alpha-transparency.
I haven't used this app yet but the website states the following:

"# Can create icons and cursors up to 256x256 @ 32-bit, which can also be PNG-compressed for use in Windows Vista(tm)
# Can create animated cursors"

Local

#9 Post by Local »

I noticed on their site that the "3-D modeling" is a 30-day trial/demo feature, I wonder if it is a standalone module that can be eliminated from the installation if I don't want it (and I don't)
I just installed it and the 3D shareware was optional, the installed app is istill 18 MB though.

I've not tested yet but it should be worth a download

[Edit:]

Tried it, loved it

Upx'd with LZMA it is only 9 and a quarter MB and it definitely is worth a download.
I never wanted to make cursors before, I'll have 50 by sundown.

grannyGeek

#10 Post by grannyGeek »

@ appsuser -- thank you for posting that --- I have an older version 1.31, and did not realize it had been updated. Looks like they did add support for animated cursors. I will have to download v 1.51 when I can get onto another computer without corporate policy blocks. I think Greenfish might replace my current combo of Microangelo and IcoFX :-)

@ Local -- glad to know RW editor is a worthwhile app, I didn't get time to play with it yet, but looking forward to it. Good to know about the upx.
Did you get a chance to test it for stealthiness?

Local

#11 Post by Local »

Me? test for stealth?
Of course :P
The answer unfortunately is no.

I've been in touch with the dev though and there is good news.
A specialized portable edition is planned, but I
cannot say when it becomes available right now. It is more than just
the settings that need to be addressed. There are also a couple of
registry entries and the library with example files, which can cause
minor problems.
I never noticed the reg entries at all but the settings were stored in the user app data folder.

grannyGeek

#12 Post by grannyGeek »

Maybe it could be handled with JauntePE meanwhile, until the dev gets things under control.

I'm back on the lookout for some tool like RegShot that can work inside Sandboxie, because RegShot and RegSnap just get caught in endless loops trying to examine virtual registry. Any suggestions?

Local

#13 Post by Local »

I still pretty much use this way
http://portablefreeware.com/forums/view ... highlight=

After a couple of uses you can usually find the offending entries instinctively.

grannyGeek

#14 Post by grannyGeek »

Great -- many thanks for the tip about RegView.

Hey, I've learned 3 useful new things on this forum today, and that makes this a really excellent day!

later -

granny
she's old, but she's still learning......

garbanzo

#15 Post by garbanzo »

Graphics Gale is my choice for .cur and .ani files.

Unfortunately it's shareware ($20), and I don't know anything about its portability, but it's a great little app. Take it or leave it :)

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/