Install and Boot UBCD from a USB Thumbdrive

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
spaztastic

Install and Boot UBCD from a USB Thumbdrive

#1 Post by spaztastic »

In this simplified USB Ultimate Boot CD walkthrough tutorial, we will demonstrate How To create a USB bootable Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) using a Windows host PC to create the USB UBCD. Ultimate Boot CD is an awesome PC diagnostics tool that condenses over 100 useful PC diagnostics and hardware troubleshooting tools into a single easy to use interface.

USB Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) prerequisites:
* UBCDfix2.exe (does the USB conversion)
* UBCD ISO
* USB flash drive
* A windows host PC to perform the build

Simple USB Ultimate Boot CD How-To:

1. Download and launch UBCDfix2.exe, a UBCD folder is created.
2. Download the UBCD ISO and move to your UBCD folder
3. From the UBCD folder, click fixubcd2.bat and follow the onscreen instructions
4. Reboot and set your computer to Boot from the USB device
5. On next launch, you should be booting Ultimate Boot CD from your USB stick

Update 05/19/08: The script now moves the extracted files to the flash drive automatically. It has been tested to work in both XP and Vista.

ashghost

not cool

#2 Post by ashghost »

Dude, please don't copy and paste blog articles here, especially without even attributing the source as you did. Just link to the source.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2006/03/25 ... sb-device/

spaztastic

#3 Post by spaztastic »

Well Dude, I shall keep that in mind for future posts. I will copy the entry if I so choose to, as long as I cite my source. There is no harm in that.

By the way, I am not a Dude. Call me any name you so choose but I am not a male.

ashghost

#4 Post by ashghost »

Sorry. I did consider that you weren't male, but I thought that usage of "dude" to be not completely necessarily gender-specific (I've had friends that used it all the time for either sex, but probably that was just them). But I'm sure that most of the world doesn't see the word that way, and I like to think I'm more sensitive to such biases :oops:

And yeah, I guess it's not the copying-and-pasting, but appearing to claim someone else's work (words) as your own that bothers me.

Regards,

ashghost

spaztastic

#5 Post by spaztastic »

I was not attempting to copy the work of another. I was simply trying to share the knowledge with those who browse these forums. I had not thought about citing my source, purely because I have been awake for quite some time. I am working on a new layout for the computers at the local high school, as I am the Technology Director.

I did not mean to sound offended, I was just letting you know that I am not a male. I do understand that most females do not have an issue with being called a dude but in my eyes, dude is somewhat of a derogatory term. Refer to the Wikipedia entry on "Dude"

opsimathic

#6 Post by opsimathic »

Regardless of the above correspondence - thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the link - this looks to be quite a useful and a good use for a spare USB memory stick - I will test it out over the next day or two as I find the time.

Thanks again.
/opsimathic

spaztastic

#7 Post by spaztastic »

One note of warning: Using a USB Flash Drive is not recommend for this project. USB Flash Drives have a limited lifespan and installing an OS to one will shorten the life of the device.

Writing to flash memory causes it to degrade ever so slightly. Reading does not. The more you write to a flash device the shorter its lifespan will be. I would recommend using an External Hard Drive.

ashghost

#8 Post by ashghost »

That is certainly correct for most OS installs (except for Puppy Linux or special "persistent" installs like the new Fedora USB installer and Ubuntu's "casper" option), I don't think that applies in this case. This seems to merely copy the iso of a read-only boot disc to the drive and make it bootable, so wouldn't it be read-only?

PenDriveLinux.com has at least one tutorial that includes a warning similar to that (an otherwise-normal Ubuntu install to a USB hard drive), but in this tutorial they even recommend a flash drive.

spaztastic

#9 Post by spaztastic »

UBCD is not meant to be changed. You use it to boot from so that diagnostics and security scans can be performed in the event that the computer becomes un-bootable. Of you'd have to update the definitions of the programs each time, but it is still useful. Also, I posted a tutorial on how to make Fedora bootable from a USB drive.

LeonardB

#10 Post by LeonardB »

Thanks spaztastic for bringing this concept to the forum. I will give it a try.