Anyone who doesn't use Thunderbird?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
DG

I don't use Thunderbird

#16 Post by DG »

I used to use it, along with firefox for email. The portable versions of both. I've since switched to Opera for both tasks. Here's the #1 reason why.

PortableFirefox (16MB) +
Portable Thunderbird (9MB) = 25MB
VS.
Opera@USB (5MB)

They both have their quirks, there are a few pages opera wont load properly (sprint.com) and it tends to crash or lock up a lot on media heavy sites (myspace.com) but over all I like it better.

As a browser, it comes with a lot more features than firefox right out of the box: Mouse Gestures, IRC chat, search toolbar, tabbed browsing, Email Client and Fast Forward (lets you go the the next logical image/page in a gallery, etc)

The email client doesnt use folders, rather it sorts the mails by "labels" or by contacts, or attachments.
It works great along with FreePOPs (www.freepops.org).

FreePOPs lets you grab HTML mail (hotmail, yahoo, etc) in a regular POP/SMTP email client like thunderbird, opera or outlook. It's VERY easy to set up and it's an easy way to check for new mail when you have a few webmail accounts.

DG

cmmehl

#17 Post by cmmehl »

Ok, my first message here (I must admit I almost missed the launching of a forum on one of my favourite websites! :shock: )

The use of a portable mail-client, from my experience, is particularly necessary when you are confined to slow connetions, and/or guest computers like internet-cafes. Not all people have rapid connections nonstop ....

Like this, you can rapidly download all your mail and quietly read it and answer it offline, on the office computer for example.

My favourite app for this is InScribe (mentioned in the DB here, that's how I came to it). There is a limited free version, but I liked it so much, i paid the 20 bucks for the pro-version.

Greetings
Chris

justin

iScribe

#18 Post by justin »

This is a small and fast email client that supports POP3 and IMAP.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=192

strider_mt2k

#19 Post by strider_mt2k »

(First post here also. Hello everyone.)

I tried and like Thunderbird, but my IP (Comcast) has webmail, so I just use Firefox.

I use that, gmail and yahoo mail, so the web has that stuff covered pretty well.

itsanogo

The BAT! Voyager

#20 Post by itsanogo »

I use The Bat! Pro on my desktop computer, so i go for The Bat! Voyager on my USB Key....

I heard it still writes a key in the registry though.

itsanogo

gp_hbk

#21 Post by gp_hbk »

I use the in-built mail client in Opera called Opera M2. You can choose between Opera Portable and OperaUSB.
I prefer Opera Portable because it comes as a single file executable and deletes all records of usage from the Temporary Folder even if Opera crashes unlike OperaUSB.

renocz

#22 Post by renocz »

Hello!

Excuse my english because i'm french :p

I'm very interested in portable applications and i recommand to all to use foxmail or dreammail which are similars and don't required somthing to use them as portable software!

See u later!

Darkbee

#23 Post by Darkbee »

renocz wrote:Hello!

Excuse my english because i'm french :p

I'm very interested in portable applications and i recommand to all to use foxmail or dreammail which are similars and don't required somthing to use them as portable software!

See u later!
I think foxmail writes settings to the registry. Dreammail I've not heard of, perhaps I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
justin wrote:This is a small and fast email client that supports POP3 and IMAP.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=192
Yep, this is a nice little client but the free version only supports 1 pop account I believe, which is no good for me.

renocz

#24 Post by renocz »

hi!

Foxmail and dreammails settings are stored into the soft folder, not in the registry ;) try it!

Darkbee

#25 Post by Darkbee »

renocz wrote:hi!

Foxmail and dreammails settings are stored into the soft folder, not in the registry ;) try it!
I have to say that I'm fairly impressed with DreamMail. I can see why it would be so appealing to a French speaker (since much of the English website seems to be in French! French must be a well supported language for this Chinese based program!). It reminds me a lot of FoxMail (another program of Chinese origin). There are one or two things that 'turned me off', namely that the program seems to will you to use pretty HTML templates (which it has to generate the first time it is run). Additionally, it looks like you must have separate inbox, outbox and other standard folders for each account. However, Hotmail support is a plus, the contact information seems comprehensive (allowing multiple email addresses per contact and a plethora of other information).

I'm not entirely convinced on the portability front. Regshot detected a lot of changes and adds to the following registry location but I'm not sure if this relates to DM: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\

You can certainly download a non-install zip file, unzip it and you are ready to go. Application settings are clearly stored in the "User" folder, within the DM folder itself. DM could be a candidate for the database (as suggested by renocz), if someone would like to perform some checks.

FoxMail seems to add some registry keys here:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Foxmail\
as well as some other stuff here:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Aerofox\Foxmail

@renocz: Do you use both email clients, or do you prefer one over the other and if so why?

renocz

#26 Post by renocz »

Hello!
Now, i only use dreammail because he is very similar to foxmail 5 with a great and continuous development and more good options!

Darkbee

#27 Post by Darkbee »

renocz wrote:Hello!
Now, i only use dreammail because he is very similar to foxmail 5 with a great and continuous development and more good options!
I agree, DM seems to be much better than FoxMail. Every time I use it, I find a new and useful feature that I like! 8)

I discovered that you can re-arrange your folders and mailboxes (view like Outlook Express, FoxMail or Sorted). It's a pity that the documentation is not so good (I haven't really found any!) because it would be nice to understand exactly all of the features available.

The registry entries I found are still a small concern but It looks like they are something to do with the ocx files that are bundled with DM. (I think one of them is a HTML editor? for composing HTML mails.) I'm wondering if you need Admin privileges to run the program.

[update]Just created a temporary "limited" login on XP and tried to run DM; worked no problems[/update]

Andrew Lee

#28 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have posted DreamMail to the database. Thanks!

saint satin stain

Re: Please read the implications carefully

#29 Post by saint satin stain »

BigD wrote:Laughable?

Storage of every Google search you've ever done + Storage of every Gmail you've ever sent + No guarantee about how the information is used = BIG privacy concerns

"If you are using your <bank account> for lawful purposes, you have nothing to worry about." - C'mon, let's see the details then!
Well, howdy, I knew from the beginning how to use Gmail; you don't use Gmail for personal correspondence. You use gmail for tech and interest internet publications. That is how I use it. I am a cyclist so I have an iGoogle page of all cycling news; the Gmail gets cycling, computer, and other science internet publications. If there is a breach of security none of my personal or sensitive info is involved. The archiving and search would seem to imply that this is what it is for. I use other webmails for some personal emailing. So what if Google knows I like bicycles; it is not sensitve data.

Enormator

#30 Post by Enormator »

I use gmail. It's a great service and if you have a very sow internet connection or a stupid browser (like if you forgot to bring your firefox portable^^) then you can go to http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html and it gives you a small fast html version of gmail. You can use gmail with internet explorer :shock:

gmail: 0MB
versus
Opera 5MB
versus
Firefox + Thunderbird = 25MB

GMail wins ;)