Portable Thunderbird & Firefox Integration

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
mynameis

Portable Thunderbird & Firefox Integration

#1 Post by mynameis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:46 am

Hi,

I'm running Portable Firefox & Portable Thunderbird from my USB pen.

When I click a mailto: link in PFirefox, I would like it to start PThunderbird.
When I click a link in a PThunderbird email, I would like it start PFirefox.

The only help I can find is setting the default browser/mail program on Windows - but this is no good as I cannot do that on each machine I use.

Is there a way to set these two portable programs up so that they work together in this way? And if so, how?

Thanks.

Simon.T

#2 Post by Simon.T » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 am

You can wait to Firefox3 to come out (when stable) - You can try out Firefox 3 beta5 here at PortableApps.com (I hope you'll love it just as I do :wink:)

As you can see, at the image below, the protocols mms:// and mailto: are associated with M$ products and with FF3 I'm able to change it (no registry usage whatsoever): But I dunno if Firefox can direct you to the desired application when the driver letter is changing)

See last review on Firefox 3 Beta 5 at ML's (Mozilla Links) here

mynameis

#3 Post by mynameis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:49 am

Hi Simon,

Thanks. I have installed the beta as suggested, and set the application for mailto to my Portable Thunderbird. It does open PThunderbird even when the drive letter changes - perfect! It comes at the expense of a couple of my add ons working, but I'm not too bothered about them and would rather have the functionality that this gives me.

To get it to work the other way I have installed the Thunderbrowse add on into PThunderbird. It's not ideal, but it does work on links in email messages. Doesn't work on links in the header (e.g. Website: header in RSS feeds).

So I am happy! But if anyone knows another way to make links in PThunderbird open in PFirefox (without setting Firefox as default browser for system), I would like to hear it.

thoubugyou

#4 Post by thoubugyou » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:16 pm

That's funny, because ThunderBrowse's RSS Website field works fine for me. I believe it's even linkitized by thunderbrowse

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:19 am

Hello,
Here is a french site with portable applications that has portable versions of Thunderbird and Firefox that can work together.
Help page: http://portableapps.free.fr/aides/Thunderbird.html
Hope it helps!