File association window "Open With"__Stealth/chang

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
donixa

File association window "Open With"__Stealth/chang

#1 Post by donixa »

Can anyone explain to me how windows file association work with portable apps,

and is it affect portability ?
if i associate a portable program, is it affect portability ?
what change have been made to windows ?

i reset my pc to just installing xp (no sp) with lots of manual tweak + cable modem driver + sound driver,
thats it,
but after this, i find all my files is not registered as file type on windows, so if i want to open it, i can do 2 different things,
first, just use open and the window will direct to browse what program to use (open with window), (and if i do this, after this when i want to open it again, i find the portable exe is listed in 'open with' window (not right click window) even if i dont checked the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file'

and second, i just run 1st the portable program, and browse to the target file, which this second method is a little bit inconvinience,

so my question again, what/how much change has been made to window (xp) becos of this 'open with' ???

and lastly, if i use 1st method, and use alot portable program, how can i manage the 'open with' window ? its on folder option right ? under File Types ?

uhhh i hope my question is clear...

Queue

#2 Post by Queue »

With the first method, Windows is keeping a list of most recently used programs to open that file extension. The list is kept in the registry under the specific file extension type:
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\.extension

You can either ignore it (it shouldn't have any negative effects), clean up the registry manually to remove the entries for portable application or use some sort of automated registry cleaner (though I think you'd need your portable drive unplugged when the cleaner runs so it won't find the programs when it checks the most recently used list).

So it all depends on how stealthy you want to be; if you're just worried about it causing errors: it shouldn't.

Also, you should really consider patching Windows up to SP2; you're leaving yourself very vulnerable to security holes that have since been patched.

Queue

donixa

#3 Post by donixa »

thanks for the reply,

i dont find alot of thing in this container, it just 1 small container or so
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes\.extension

but i found alot container in
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Classes

well, i guess i dont wanna to be extreme....i just use the file association then...beside its already fulfll almost all i need, fast os, independent enough apps,
so when i want to, i just re-ghost the os,

i never use sp2, becos i notice slow performance,
i use original xp, and uninstall all the crap i can from windows component

security issue...which i was paranoid enough, i dont use av or firewall anymore now,
i do it manually now with clamwin :p and some portabilized popular warez apps

thanks again,

Cornflower

File Extensions

#4 Post by Cornflower »

You can make a batch file using a registry tool to make file extensions portable.

To simplify, here are 2 batch files using regxx (a console registry editor that does not pop up onto the screen)

makeEXT.bat
@echo off
regxx add "HKCR\.xyz\Shell\open\command" "" "\Programs\yourapp.exe %1"

RemoveExt.bat
@echo off
regxx del "HKCR\.xyz"

Assuming your executable and your batch files are on the USB, you
run MakeExt.bat, then yourapp, then RemoveExt.bat

(disclaimer: the paths in this example may not exist on your system--tweak as required. no purchase necessary, .....)

donixa

#5 Post by donixa »

this is interesting solution, i hardly understand it, but i can see the point
so this 2 batch file will contain all file association needed right ?

sounds like too much work for me, i just prefer reghost if i want to then....

i use all portable apps at local partition btw...i dont use any usb...

but thanks anyway,

lococobra

#6 Post by lococobra »

The shell extension re-assigner that I was working on a while ago did that exact thing, but I stopped working on it because it seemed like Cafe would do the same thing, and better =/