dll is portable?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Perindu

dll is portable?

#1 Post by Perindu »

i wonder if dll is consider as portable software also?

i love program hashtab which allow people to know md5 by right click and see at properties but when im extract i just see dll only so here what i do

create start.bat and put

Code: Select all

regsvr32.exe HashTab32.dll
to install it

and use stop.bat and put

Code: Select all

regsvr32.exe /u HashTab32.dll
to stop it

im wondering if this consider as portable also?

p/s u can directly use run also.

Cornflower

#2 Post by Cornflower »

Many dlls operate that way. You register or unregister them from the system they are on. Pritner drivers are kind of like that (print to Pdf for example)

I think traditionally they are NOT treated as portable, as ther are SOO many apps out there where you register the dlls.

I personally would consider as portable those apps that work without this process, but where you have the "option" of making context menues work by registering the dlls.

On my personal key, I keep a half-dozen or so DLLs that work with registration, and have set up a batch file with a menu so I can register or unregister them without typing in whole path/dll-names, etc.

Suggestion: run the start.bat/stop.bat sequence through something like Regshot, and see if there is anything that does not get cleaned up after unregistration.

Ramblin' on...

Hank7

#3 Post by Hank7 »

The IrfanView ShellExtension is another fine example, as is AudioShell.

Also, Xentient Thumbnails works from a thumbdrive, though it leaves some settings in the user data folder.