Any suggestion for monitoring internet uptime?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Andrew Lee

Any suggestion for monitoring internet uptime?

#1 Post by Andrew Lee »

I need a simple portable program for monitoring internet uptime.

Basically, it should just be a simple program that pings one ore more known IP every x secs. If the ping fails, it will log that as a failure. A simple rolling uptime chart would be great, as would be some kind of summary that lists the last failure time and duration.

I was surprisingly unable to find something in the TPFC database (search term "uptime").

A google search ("windows internet uptime") turned up mostly freemium products that were huge (200MB+) and bulky (everything but the kitchen sink thrown in).

I did find one open-source, portable, dot-net based application on GitHub called WirePeep, which I am testing now. But I am still hoping to find something that is non dot-net based, and has the rolling uptime chart feature.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Mixture

Re: Any suggestion for monitoring internet uptime?

#2 Post by Mixture »

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-T ... itor.shtml

I hope a Java-based app doesn't insult the intelligence of your computer (or you).

Andrew Lee

Re: Any suggestion for monitoring internet uptime?

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks for the suggestion!

I remember the program did come up during my search, but I am not sure what it buys over WirePeep, since they seem comparable in terms of features and runtime cost (Dot-net vs Java), so I didn't try it.

My memory may not be entirely accurate, but I remember a long time back, there's a small applet that sits in the taskbar notification area that graphs Internet uptime, but I can't find it at all.