Shell (programable shell extension)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Midas

Shell (programable shell extension)

#1 Post by Midas »

I haven't tested this Shell(!) in any away but I think it deserves a post simply by looking at it -- posting to 'Discussion' because of its uncertain status.
Shell is a context menu extender that lets you handpick the items to integrate into Windows File Explorer context menu, create custom commands to access all your favorite web pages, files, and folders, and launch any application directly from the context menu. It also provides you a convenient solution to modify or remove any context menu item added by the system or third party software. Shell is a portable utility, so you don’t need to install anything on your PC.

Shell claims portability but I believe this is more a case of being able to (un)install on-the-fly...
Download the release package and unzip its content in any location you want.
Open an elevated command prompt.
Administrative permissions required for installation...
Shell provides a variety of statements and expressions. Most of these will be familiar to developers who have programmed in C, C++, C#. Expressions gives you all the power of Shell, but is using a simplified syntax that's easier to learn if you're a beginner, and makes you more productive if you're an expert.

Shell latest release is v1.5: changes and 32/64-bits downloads at https://nilesoft.org/download.

freakazoid

Re: Shell (programable shell extension)

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Looks neat, webfork!

Looks like a programmable shell extension. Would miss the ease of a GUI to manage my various items, but I might give this one a try if I'm ever bored.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

freakazoid wrote: Looks neat, webfork!
:D Oh, webfork where art thou when thy followers call? :wink:

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think it is portable, to the extent that shell extensions are portable.

Everything is stored in shell.shl, which is where you write the code.

I think this is a pretty neat example: https://nilesoft.org/docs/examples/goto

A whole portable program launcher within the shell context menu. I think it is even possible to write some simple script to traverse through an entire folder of portable apps and generate the .shl file automatically.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: I think it is even possible to write some simple script to traverse through an entire folder of portable apps and generate the .shl file automatically.

What a great idea! 8)

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

Midas wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:11 pm
freakazoid wrote: Looks neat, webfork!
:D Oh, webfork where art thou when thy followers call? :wink:
Oops. Sorry Midas! I saw the green highlight in the username and since both of you use green highlights, I got confused!
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

No problem, it was just a joke. As you were... :)

moudey

#8 Post by moudey »

Midas wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:29 am Shell claims portability but I believe this is more a case of being able to (un)install on-the-fly...
Hi all.
The installation is intended to inject Shell into Windows File Explorer only so that Shell can continue to work automatically when restart (PC/File Explorer).
As for all settings, they are portable through the "shell.shl" file, and no other data is written to the Windows registry except for the injection.

Any suggestion or idea is welcome.

Regards