Looking for a specialty screen ruler

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Cornflower

Looking for a specialty screen ruler

#1 Post by Cornflower »

I have done a search, as yet to no avail, to find a screen ruler that does percentages of the thing being measured, not just the whole screen.

For instance, if I have a PDF document, and I want to split a page vertically or horizontally, most page splitters (PDF Arranger, K2pdfopt, Briss) work on percentages of the page, to allow for differing page sizes. So far, to do the splitting with PDF Arranger, I guess at the percentage, and if wrong, Undo and guess again. I found an old portable trial-ware (still exists), A-PDF Page Cut, that can do it, within its trial limitations. (The way I've tried using it is to open the PDF in both A-PDF Page Cut (and go through the trial screen) and PDF Arranger, do the measuring in A-PDF Page Cut to get the percentages and then do the splitting in PDF Arranger.

This method, to me, is overkill, and I'd like to not use trail software if I have little intention of purchasing it.

I'd like to find a simple ruler that instead of pixels, cm, or inches, determines that whatever its length is stretched to becomes 100%, and wherever you hover or click the cursor shows the percentage.

How to do measure percentage with A-PDF Page Cut:

Any suggestions or leads welcome.

webfork

Re: Looking for a specialty screen ruler

#2 Post by webfork »

Oh man what a frustratingly obvious request. I did some quick checks and no dice with two obvious solutions:

PDF XChange options:

Foxit

Cornflower

#3 Post by Cornflower »

I'd checked PDF-XChange Editor, and discovered the same as you did; thanks for checking Foxit, webfork.

Wasting too much time on this--I found a meantime easy solution (non-software).
I discovered the [Avery Printable Ruler](https://www.avery.com/resources/avery-p ... -ruler.pdf) [PDF-file], which co-incidently is a 10-inch ruler with gradations of 0.1 inch. Printing them off at 100%, 80%, and 50%, I now have paper rulers that do the percentages.

To use it, put 0 at the top left of the page as it is shown in PDF Arranger, and 10" along the bottom edge. Using the principles of https://www.manmadediy.com/how-to-divide-board-evenly/, the horizontal point where you want to split the PDF page is the percentage (e.g. 7.2" is 72%) The reason for the 80% and 50% scales is for pdf pages in PDF Arranger that are too small for the 10" original ruler.

I'd really like to find a software solution to this; you'd think that since percentages are part of the splitting process someone would have come up with it. I split and clean up pdfs more often than I care to admit.

Cornflower

#4 Post by Cornflower »

I found a freeware utility that appears to be able to measure percentages between two points on the screen, and hence solve the issue I raised in this thread.

GCaliper is a screen calipers that you can rotate on an angle and figure out where to cut your PDF page (or anything else).
Home page: https://github.com/arakis/gcaliper
Download: https://github.com/arakis/gcaliper/releases/latest

The documentation only appears on the github page.

To use it, place the calipers on the upper left corner of the page. Resize the calipers to 1000 (could be another number, but as this tool only measures pixels, 1000 works on the average monitor.
Rotate the calipers until the 1000 end is somewhere along the bottom of the page. If the top part of the calipers has slipped, readjust. Now resize the calipers along that angle until you get to the spot you want to cut the page. That number, divided by 1000, is the percentage to cut the page at. It uses the same principles as the Avery Printable Ruler in my last post on this issue.

As far as I can tell, GCaliper is portable and stealth. I looked for both "arakis" and "gcaliper" on my system and in the registry; I will submit it after Christmas is no one finds a non-portability aspect to it.

FileHandler

#5 Post by FileHandler »

Not exactly light-weight, with 130 MB unpacked into 6300 files. But it works nicely, especially the custom rotation angle comes in handy. Thanks for sharing! :D