What is your largest app on your portable drive?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Mixture

What is your largest app on your portable drive?

#1 Post by Mixture »

I have wondered numerous times what massive apps other portable software users use. My largest app is Kiwix wikipedia, right at 85 gigabytes. I have the 0.9 version and the database up to the end of 2016.
screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png
screenshot3.png
screenshot4.png
screenshot5.png
screenshot6.png

webfork

Re: What is your largest app on your portable drive?

#2 Post by webfork »

Mixture wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:50 am I have wondered numerous times what massive apps other portable software users use. My largest app is Kiwix wikipedia, right at 85 gigabytes.
Well now you're just showing off. The closest app I have to that size is LibreOffice Portable "Still" version, at 780 megs. I think the largest one I ever tested was Exselo, which was over a gigabyte.

Please tell me that you use NTFS filesystem compression. Did you download that from a server or via Torrent file?

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Mine's also LibreOffice Portable. Nothing else in my collection even comes close.

Cornflower

#4 Post by Cornflower »

I remember when I had to move my utilities to a second 1.44mB floppy, if I wanted to keep one as a boot disk (Dos 3.3 through 6.2). Now all my straight portable utilities are 1.43gB, NOT counting portables VLC, LibreOffice, and Firefox. Those were the days.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Cornflower wrote: I remember when I had to move my utilities to a second 1.44mB floppy, if I wanted to keep one as a boot disk (Dos 3.3 through 6.2). Now all my straight portable utilities are 1.43gB, NOT counting portables VLC, LibreOffice, and Firefox. Those were the days.

Those were the days, indeed. Bloat never sleeps. :)

I was intrigued by this question, too, so I ran a quick scan... turns out mine is Scoop, a CLI updater utility (it was over 9GB at first, but I managed to prune it down by removing lots of old versions; mind you, the biggest storage waster is the required copy of Git, which I don't even use for anything else). :o