Best internal team chat messenger

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
franklinsimon

Best internal team chat messenger

#1 Post by franklinsimon »

Hi friends,

Suggest me any internal team chat messenger with easy installation steps.

Special

Re: Best internal team chat messenger

#2 Post by Special »

mIRC

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

franklinsimon wrote: Suggest me any internal team chat messenger with easy installation steps.
:idea: The "Suggestions/Discussions" sub-forum is not about freeware but regards TPFC itself -- as implied by its placement under "Site Matters"...

Anyway, topic moved. :|

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

franklinsimon wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:02 am Suggest me any internal team chat messenger with easy installation steps.
I'd recommend Isotoxin for what you're describing. It couldn't be easier to setup and run, and the LAN messaging is hard to beat for really strong privacy/security (assuming you're on the same network or VPN). Unfortunately I've only tested it with 1:1 interactions, no groups.

Other options:
  • As I noted the other day, BRIM looks pretty good but is a bit early stage.
  • Mattermost is open and has real support behind it (portability is unclear)
  • Discord has some great and easy groupchat features, but I think is ultimately a little distracting
  • Telegram has excellent file sharing capabilities if that's something you need.
I use Stride everyday and enjoy the interface, but I've had a fair number of problems with it. It's also a little behind in terms of features compared to similar tools and it's not free. Wait a while on that program (and wait another 6 months for Keybase).

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

michealdewer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 pm I'm using slack for communicating with company members paid version is good buy if you can't bear cost of paid version then free version of slack is also available.
My employer uses Slack as well. It's not that good in my experience: in particular, it's not portable, and it's heavy and uses a ton of RAM.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 pm My employer uses Slack as well. It's not that good in my experience: in particular, it's not portable, and it's heavy and uses a ton of RAM.
Slack does have a feature-limited free version for use with small groups, which I think was created to compete with Microsoft Teams.

You can run the thing entirely within a Web browser, which uses fewer resources. I like the program, though I don't see it as dramatically better than other available options. I will say that the iOS mobile client notifications are junk (sort of an important feature for a messaging program) so I'm not sure when someone's messaging me. Hopefully that's a temporary bug.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Update here:
webfork wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:23 am Slack does have a feature-limited free version ... created to compete with Microsoft Teams.
Cisco also put out a program to compete on collaborative software, the very unoriginal Cisco WebEx Teams (formerly "Spark"). It has some nice features and Softpedia is listing it as freemium but it's just trialware. With the exception of some open source work, Cisco doesn't do anything for free.