Firefox Portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Re: Official Firefox Portable?

#16 Post by webfork » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:32 pm

http://www.addictivetips.com/web/log-in ... -multifox/

Another article on Multifox. This is a fantastic plugin that has made my life so much easier.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

webfork

#17 Post by webfork » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:27 pm

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/06/21/opera- ... s-support/

I've been using the Firefox PDF viewer a LOT and, while it's behind other PDF viewers with zooming, rendering, and other bits, it's also *crazy* fast and only going to get better with updates. I use it in concert with Adobe's Acrobat viewer, but sometimes I need to switch back and forth so I use this dead-simple plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rswitcher/

Other notes:

* Wish they'd add DjVu support, being that it's Firefox who's always advocating open tools and protocols
* Wonder what would have happened if they'd just integrated the already very fast and open Sumatra, but oh well
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

SYSTEM

#18 Post by SYSTEM » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:19 pm

webfork wrote: I've been using the Firefox PDF viewer a LOT and, while it's behind other PDF viewers with zooming, rendering, and other bits, it's also *crazy* fast and only going to get better with updates.
Crazy fast? Pdf.js is written in JavaScript and is therefore much slower than fast native code readers such as Sumatra PDF. I have seen PDFs that pdf.js renders extremely slow.
webfork wrote: Wonder what would have happened if they'd just integrated the already very fast and open Sumatra, but oh well
Sumatra PDF is Windows-only. Mozilla needs to support Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Android and Firefox OS. In addition, I believe they wanted to show JavaScript is fast enough for PDF readers.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018

abacusFanboi

#19 Post by abacusFanboi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:20 am

webfork wrote: Crazy fast? Pdf.js is written in JavaScript and is therefore much slower than fast native code readers such as Sumatra PDF. I have seen PDFs that pdf.js renders extremely slow.
i usually download pdfs. but I've seen a few seconds delay for pdf.js. I recall thinking they were large pdfs, because mostly large color photos, so the download time caused the delay. xp 1.5gb or vista 4gb

webfork

#20 Post by webfork » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:56 pm

[Moderator note: posts about the Light browser have been given their own thread.]

webfork

#21 Post by webfork » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:00 pm

SYSTEM wrote:Crazy fast? Pdf.js is written in JavaScript and is therefore much slower than fast native code readers such as Sumatra PDF. I have seen PDFs that pdf.js renders extremely slow.
Really? It *seemed* to work very well but I must admit not having done any tests. I might see if I can get Sumatra plugged in and make it work with that PDF switcher.

Thanks.

Midas

Re: Airfox

#22 Post by Midas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 am

Yet another Firefox sprout: Airfox is a DotNET v2.0 implementation of the Gecko engine, meant for enhanced lightweightness (untested!). I'm assuming that apart form the DotNET dependency, portability will be pretty much similar to other *fox variations...
Download latest Airfox release (currently v1.8') from http://airfox.sourceforge.net/download/.

webfork

#23 Post by webfork » Sun May 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Update about the latest version:

They FINALLY updated the Options menu to work inside the browser -- similar to the plugins/add-ons menu rather than as a separate window, which I think works better.

Previously and current.

... I still wish they'd integrate the Add-Ons menu to keep it all in one place. Also they need to switch the "Options - Applications" icon and the "Apps" that point to Firefox Marketplace.  Very confusing.

Midas

Re: Firefox Portable

#24 Post by Midas » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:14 am

Strong endorsement for Firefox at Softpedia:

webfork

#25 Post by webfork » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:42 am

Midas wrote:Firefox Is Much Better than Any Other Browser and Here's Why
I agree with a lot of this but that might be caused by the fact that the author and I are alike in our preferences, rather than Firefox is objectively better. He hits on the reasons I see a lot:
  • He's one of those users (like many here on PFW) that have loads of tabs open, which Firefox is best at managing
  • Has the best add-on system, which has been the primary draw for many years
  • Tweakable and customizable
Two points I was a little disappointed by:
  • This is really just a comparison of Chrome and FFox. Opera is essentially Chrome and IE is discarded outright.
  • Mentions iMacros in a way that implies it's only available for FFox, where in fact it can be used on Chrome and IE as well. It's a very good automation tool.
I think this format would have been better suited in a video where he could have shown some of the usability things he likes in FFox vs. those he dislikes in Chrome. Anyway, interesting stuff.

Edit: The article mentions the Update Scanner add-on, which I didn't know about and looks really sharp.

the_watcher

#26 Post by the_watcher » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:45 pm

webfork wrote:Edit: The article mentions the Update Scanner add-on, which I didn't know about and looks really sharp.
Also check out Distill

ripu

#27 Post by ripu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:14 am

I use the portableapps version and it creates Mozilla folders both at Local and Roaming folder of AppData. So, how can it be stealth as mentioned in the main database entry?

JohnTHaller

#28 Post by JohnTHaller » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:21 am

ripu wrote:I use the portableapps version and it creates Mozilla folders both at Local and Roaming folder of AppData. So, how can it be stealth as mentioned in the main database entry?
Because it cleans them both up on exit. If that's not the case for your specific setup, please post a detailed bug report in the PortableApps.com forums (including full install path, Windows version, any FirefoxPortable.ini modifications, anything left behind on exit, etc) and we'll figure out what's going on.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Guido76

#29 Post by Guido76 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:21 am

Hello everybody,
Now, we have an official release for 64 bits version.
Do you think there is some possibilities to obtain in a short delay, a portable 64bits version ?
thank you,

SYSTEM

#30 Post by SYSTEM » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:45 am

Guido76 wrote:Hello everybody,
Now, we have an official release for 64 bits version.
Do you think there is some possibilities to obtain in a short delay, a portable 64bits version ?
thank you,
According to the release announcement, Firefox Portable 43.0 already works in 64-bit mode on 64-bit Windows.
This release updates to the latest version and introduces automatic dual-mode 32-bit and 64-bit operation, ensuring Firefox runs as fast as possible on every PC.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 12th playlist: November 1, 2018