Quick Notes Usage Tests

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
TP109

Quick Notes Usage Tests

#1 Post by TP109 »

Tested most of the quick note apps hosted or mentioned on this site. Those with encryption capabiities were not included unless encryption can be disabled, such as with SelfNote. The most recently apps are highlighted in green.
notes.jpg
Last edited by TP109 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: Quick Notes Usage Tests

#2 Post by webfork »

TP109 wrote:Tested most of the quick note apps hosted or mentioned on this site.
*Immediately goes and looks at rDex and SelfNote*

Thanks for that

TP109

#3 Post by TP109 »

Tested InDeep Notes and StackNotes ver 1.0.3.2. Retested after upgrading to the new version of StackNotes. It seemed snappier and does indeed use less RAM than before. IMO, there's not much of a performance difference between the top 5-6 quick note apps.
notes.jpg

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Good lord. What's going on with GumNotes? For a program that strongly advertises simplicity, that's a pretty bulky experience. At least with your calculator program analysis, you could assume some of the more advanced math tools might need more program resources.

Anyway, good to know.

TP109

#5 Post by TP109 »

lol. What is advertised and what is actually true are more often than not two different things. Although these test comparisons are not perfect by any means, they do provide users with additional information independent from the often misleading, unsubstantiated, and sometimes false claims used to promote these products.

I agree that min RAM usage is especially high for BubbleNotes, and for 7 Sticky Notes too. For those who might think that 79MB isn't bad, compare that to the lowest usage app and they can see it's almost 9x as much. Doing that kind of comparison often helps to put things into perspective.

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

TP109 wrote:Doing that kind of comparison often helps to put things into perspective.
  • Yep, that's the biggest benefit I get from your testing -- I might not always go for the leaner app, but it sure does weigh in my assessment...

TP109

#7 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote:-- I might not always go for the leaner app ...
Leaner apps often have stripped down features, frequently a factor for them being light weight in the first place. Some are so limited that they wouldn't be of much benefit to most users. It's useful to include them in the comparisons anyway, even if many could be classified as slightly different apps and placed into separate categories.