Reminder programs that use Windows 8+ Toast notifications?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Specular

Reminder programs that use Windows 8+ Toast notifications?

#1 Post by Specular »

Looking for a reminder/task program that displays its notifications using the Windows 8+ Toast notifications.

Here is what Toast notifications look like:

Reason is that the default Alarms app stopped launching some months ago and I've been without this convenient ability for some time. I like the Toast style more than any other as it's obvious, can include a snooze button (if the developer has added it), and ducks all other audio playing on the system at the time while the alarm plays.

webfork

Re: Reminder programs that use Windows 8+ Toast notification

#2 Post by webfork »

You might look into Snarl, which is a reference to the Mac platform's "Growl" notification system.

http://snarl.fullphat.net/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-En ... narl.shtml

The "about" page makes it sound pretty fantastic:
With the advent of Smartphones and Cloud services, it’s now easier than ever to keep up to date with events within the world. Whether these are very localised events like receiving a text message from a family member, global events like receiving an alert from a 24/7 news feed, or anywhere in between – there is always something happening.

While it’s now very easy to be notified, it’s also getting harder to not be notified, or at least to control how you are notified. So: we want people to be connected, but still empowered to define how they are connected, and to what extent external influences have over their lives.

We want to achieve this by developing a platform that unifies applications which generate notifications with the services that consume them. Snarl then acts as a central hub, concentrating the incoming notifications and letting you decide how best you want to receive them.
I haven't tested it yet but the program has an open license and seems actively developed