Old Games (DxWnd)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
joby_toss

Old Games (DxWnd)

#1 Post by joby_toss »

[Moderator note: this thread was split from the DxWnd thread.]

---

Can't wait for the new Necromancer class and The Darkening of Tristram in D3! Lost days in D2! Hormones didn't let me play D1 too much! :D

smaragdus

Re: DxWnd

#2 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss
I have played only Diablo II but I know people who prefer Diablo I. I am curious about the first version (I like old games) but I am afraid that if I start my greed for playing will get out of control again. By the way I played almost exclusively with The Sorceress. I have also played Fate and I remember how much I enjoyed sending the kitten to sell stuff. :D
My game culture is very limited- I have mainly played all-time classics like Diablo, Heroes of Might and Magic, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam... Can you recommend a valuable alternative to Heroes of Might and Magic?

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

Well... TBS just isn't my thing. Tried to play Heroes 3, but never understood the inner workings, never had the patience to learn... many of my friends did, though. I've heard good things about Empire: Total War and I see it has a nice discount on Steam now.

In D2 I was playing Barbarian, 'cause it didn't require much brain... :D

Starcraft and Counter-Strike (huge LAN parties for days) made me fail some exams... :oops:

Serious Sam I'm playing right now, just to feel young again. :roll:

@webfork: maybe a split here (and move to Chit-chat)?

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss
Thanks for "Empire: Total War", it looks interesting but I do not use (and don't plan to use) Steam.
About HMM- it enchants me because of the fantasy atmosphere and because of the monsters- I love monsters and there are many, I also love to accumulate scores of dragons of all kinds (I am in love with dragons). I love the free fan-made expansion "In the Wake of Gods". I am addicted to it. I like turn-based strategies (with unlimited turns) because I can relax, contemplate, peacefully count my dragons (I prefer the Dungeon creatures). I am not into race games but I was also addicted to "Need for Speed: Porsche" which was more realistic than the most of the similar games. Once I liked Carmageddon very much too. I still play old DOS games like Blockout via D-Fend Reloaded.

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote: My game culture is very limited- I have mainly played all-time classics like Diablo, Heroes of Might and Magic, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam... Can you recommend a valuable alternative to Heroes of Might and Magic?
Have you played Heroes of Might and Magic IV? Out of the dozens of games I have played, only four have reached favorite status, and Heroes IV is one of them.* I have played through all the built-in campaings as well as both of its official expansions (The Gathering Storm and Winds of War). My estimate for my total Heroes IV play hours is about 800.
smaragdus wrote: About HMM- it enchants me because of the fantasy atmosphere and because of the monsters- I love monsters and there are many, I also love to accumulate scores of dragons of all kinds (I am in love with dragons).
Similarly, Heroes IV attracted me with its atmosphere. Its art is very beautiful and attractive. Its background music is one of the best game soundtracks I have heard. And Heroes IV uses a mechanism where it continues a music track from where it left off instead of always starting from the beginning, which averts the "you hear the beginning of track X so many times that you get sick of it" problem. Even after ~800 play hours, I still love the Heroes IV soundtrack.

(The soundtrack for everyone's convenience: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vHzKUVbcv2)

* The other three are Fez (2D puzzle platformer), Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (story-focused 3D platformer), and Legend of Grimrock II (grid RPG).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

@SYSTEM
Thanks for your post and for the suggestions. I have played Heroes II, III, IV and V and I like all with the exception of V (I haven't played the first part of the series- Heroes of Might and Magic: A Strategic Quest). Looking back I am sorry I didn't track the time I fascinatingly wasted playing Heroes. Currently I have 265 saved games only for version III. I also like version IV with the exception of one thing- that the army may survive and the commander may die and in such cases one should start developing a commander from the beginning. In fact the fan expansion "In the Wake of Gods" adds a commander. About the music- it is really great and I enjoy it to the fullest, it never bores me after so many playing hours, on the contrary- it relaxes me. Version V somehow disappointed me- for me 3D is not always an advantage. I have never played VI and VII and I don't know whether they are good or not. Have you played V, VI and VII?

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote:Looking back I am sorry I didn't track the time I fascinatingly wasted playing Heroes.
Neither did I. The number I gave is an estimate, and may well be way off.
smaragdus wrote:I also like version IV with the exception of one thing- that the army may survive and the commander may die and in such cases one should start developing a commander from the beginning.
I never allowed that to happen. If a hero died, I always loaded the previous save. (And if I found myself in a situation where I couldn't prevent it, I restarted the entire scenario.)
smaragdus wrote:I have never played VI and VII and I don't know whether they are good or not. Have you played V, VI and VII?
No, I haven't.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020