Different license types (now a FAQ item)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Andrew Lee

Re: Different license types

#16 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, I have:

1) Corrected typo (BlueGriffon)
2) Moved donationware to "Free-ish", and lumped postcardware, beerware etc. under its description.

Midas

Re: Different license types (now a FAQ item)

#17 Post by Midas »

FYI, here's a new one (at least for me):

The Unlicense is a template for disclaiming copyright monopoly interest in software you've written; in other words, it is a template for dedicating your software to the public domain. It combines a copyright waiver patterned after the very successful public domain SQLite project with the no-warranty statement from the widely-used MIT/X11 license.

EDIT: after searching the forums, I found a prior reference by Specular in the youtube-dl topic(see viewtopic.php?p=95494#p95494).

webfork

Re: Different license types (now a FAQ item)

#18 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:46 am The Unlicense is a template for dedicating your software to the public domain
Interesting stuff. I'm not a lawyer, but one of the things that I've been cautioned by an actual IP lawyer was around licensing that mentions the "public domain." She indicated that the rules and structure governing that term vary widely. I realize that this directly counter the entire thesis of "Unlicense" author, but if that's true, it could mean you still run into license compatibility issues.

I also think it's problematic to reference how legality controls things in a way you don't like, determine you don't want to be controlled by legal language, and then write things using legal language and without the guidance of a lawyer. It's a bit like reading a book on various management tricks, saying you hate how everyone gets lost in all these details, and then writing your own without input from other managers.