Text Editor Performance Tests

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
TP109

Re: Text Editor Performance Tests

#151 Post by TP109 »

I'm testing on XP. As far as I know Textilosaurus doesn't run on XP.

skunkos

#152 Post by skunkos »

Oh, that is true.

freakazoid

#153 Post by freakazoid »

TP109 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:44 pm
freakazoid wrote:TP109 - Do you have an updated link to your findings? I have a need to open a large log file and would really value your research :)

I think your graphs say that either GigaEdit or HiEditor is suitable for files larger than 750MB. Is that still the case?

Also for HiEditor, why didn't you use the latest version to test?
I have a list of updated text editors that I need to test, but haven't done that yet.

Yes, the tested versions of GigaEdit and HiEditor are the best performing for large files up to 750MB. I didn't test for files larger than 750MB though.
Just had to return to this because I had to load a large text file (1.4 GB) and HiEditor did a great job! Thanks again for your findings, TP109!
is it stealth? ;)

TP109

#154 Post by TP109 »

freakazoid wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 pm Just had to return to this because I had to load a large text file (1.4 GB) and HiEditor did a great job!
Thanks for confirming that HiEditor can handle that size file. 1.4 GB is nearly double the largest file tested. I had to place a limit on file size for several reasons, including the extra time it requires to test additional files. This type of testing can continue to grow over time and get more complex. I made attempts to keep it as simple and consistent as possible. It's reasonable to assume that an editor that can easily handle 750 MB should theoretically be able to go quite a bit higher, with an approximate upper limit becoming predictable with a corresponding drop in performance.