Win CE freeware?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Gerard

Win CE freeware?

#1 Post by Gerard »

Recently I bought a HP620LX with Win CE (ver. 2.11) on it.
Can you tell me if it is possible to run portable programs on it. Primarily I want to run a PIM on both the 620LX and a stick (desktop) and then synchronise the data.
I just could try it. But can you tell me more over the background. What hapens and why it is yes/no possible.
Thanks.

Local

#2 Post by Local »

If CE can use standard windows applications it should be possible, I have had no experience using it myself though.

I do know that The windows mobile versions can't use standard .exe's but, from what information I just got about CE, it may be able to use them if the memory footprint is small enough

alanbcohen

#3 Post by alanbcohen »

It is my understanding that Mobile Win and WinCE names are both intentional attempts to defraud the public into believing that it is the same OS as Windows. They are not and you should not expect any Win Apps to run on either of these platforms. They require unique builds/compiles.

teobromina

#4 Post by teobromina »

alanbcohen wrote:... Mobile Win and WinCE ... They are not and you should not expect any Win Apps to run on either of these platforms. They require unique builds/compiles.
OK. But perhaps you are interested or searching for some apps that are portable in Windows and have specific versions for PDA devices. This is a good idea if you want to keep using some programs that you like on both plattforms.

I am using, for instance, in a rather old Acer (ARM processor) PDA machine, "Spre32":

http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/

which is a spreadsheet with both versions for Windows and for PDA and which is portable in Windows.

I do not know if this is useful. There are some other examples, and of course, there are some pages of freeware specific for PDAs.

Regards.

*JT.

teobromina

More specifically about PIM

#5 Post by teobromina »

I have not found untill now any freeware PIM program for PDAs.
At least not any that combines calendar, contacts, to-dos, etc. with a parallel program for Windows.

This would be a serious limitation for me in the case I needed massive use of my PDA, because according to my experience, the syncronization of the PIM set of apps included in the PDAs OS with Windows OS is not always easy (and you have to use installed sync programs in any computer used as host). It would be a good thing to have something allowing to transport PIM data form an OS to the other one, in a more effective and easy way, just inside a single file.

My way to solve this problem is to use CSV text files to contain my data, and open them with apps like Spre32, mentioned before. :idea:

Regards.

*JT.