More compression?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

More compression?

#1 Post by webfork »

So I recently tried to compress a archive of various different files in the 200 meg range. I set almost every setting in 7-zip to it's maximum:

I thought that this would take some time, but I guess my processor just laughed at the job. Not only that, but 7-zip only supports dual-processor compression when I have a 4-core so I switched over to LZMA2 (under "compression method") to utilize even more of the processor. It makes me wonder: is there anything out there that provides even better compression? I looked into RAR5 but so far it looks like 7-zip is better (here's a Tom's Hardware breakdown, but I found similar results elsewhere http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/win ... 36-13.html). Maybe a way to soup up the dictionary, word, or block size?

SYSTEM

Re: More compression?

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

The best comparison of compression algorithms I'm aware of is http://maximumcompression.com/.

Their probably most important comparison table is the efficiency table.
The basic idea is a compressor X has the same efficiency as compressor Y if X can compress twice as fast as Y and resulting archive size of X is 10% larger than size of Y.
There is also a raw compression ratio table. However, the most powerful algorithms trade way too much speed for compression ratio.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Very interesting - thanks for the info.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: some newer (possibly better) compression codecs that would answer the fundamental question in this thread were mentioned so I thought I'd note their existence.