Notepad++ - text and programmer's editor

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
USB_Kx

Notepad++ - text and programmer's editor

#1 Post by USB_Kx »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Notepad++ thread. View database entry]

---

Notepad++ 4.73 out today!

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

There are two rules for success: 1) Never tell everything you know…
- Roger H. Lincoln

Checker

#2 Post by Checker »

Strange Image
The download-link is correct and leads you to the new version 4.7.3,
but the page still says: "latest version 4.7.2"

--- Now (Jan, 09.) it's changed ---

Midas

Notepad++ (text editor)

#3 Post by Midas »

Amazingly, although one of the more popular database entries with a popularity rating of over 90%, OSS Notepad++ (Notepad Plus Plus, for alternate search purposes; database entry is at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=539) doesn't have its own forum topic, an omission I intend to remedy with the present post (I'm making it in "Discussion" because it was originally submitted by TPFC's own founder, but I was unable to trace the original post).
  • [url]http://notepad-plus-plus.org/[/url] author wrote:Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License. Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
Current Notepad++ natively portable version (v6.6.2) can be downloaded from http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/.

carbonize

Re: Notepad++ (text editor)

#4 Post by carbonize »

As much as I want to love Notepad++ I just can't. It's text editor component is excellent but everything else is a bit lacklustre or just ugly from it's FTP to it's options window. My chosen editor, PSPad, has excellent tools but it's editor component is pretty old and has issues.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

carbonize wrote:As much as I want to love Notepad++ I just can't. It's text editor component is excellent but everything else is a bit lacklustre or just ugly from it's FTP to it's options window. My chosen editor, PSPad, has excellent tools but it's editor component is pretty old and has issues.
It has some flaws, but I've found it to be unbelievably stable and handles almost everything I've thrown at it with the low-end coding work that I do (mostly HTML and weird Apache script stuff).

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

Never knew there is a minimalist version available (the executable is identical, but no themes, no plugins, no updater, no locales). I simply love it! And it seems to be stealth.
Q: Why isn't the complete version stealth (haven't fully test it)?

bzl333

#7 Post by bzl333 »

i like the docswitcher on the left hand side of the GUI. very powerful if you're say compiling information from the internet into many different text files. dont have to mess with the row of tabs accross the top. would be better if they allowed some folders to be at the top of the docswitcher though and also allow you to just open every txt file in a specific folder. it does allow to save and reload sessions, which is good.

Wolfghost

#8 Post by Wolfghost »

Notepad++ 6.6.8 Custom Version

This custom version of Notepad++ 6.6.8 has no easter egg quotations. This custom version includes "notepad++.exe" and "SciLexer.dll" files built from the latest versions of Scientilla and Boost. Both binary and source files are included.

https://sites.google.com/site/arnobpl/apps and scroll down.

vmars316

#9 Post by vmars316 »

joby_toss wrote:And it seems to be stealth.
Pls, what do you mean by stealth ?...Thanks

vmars316

#10 Post by vmars316 »

Hello & Thanks ,
I have a .txt file
which contains two columns of text .
I would like to 'select text' by column .
And turn it into two files with one column in each file .
But I can't seem to get the 'select by column' to work .
Can someone show me how to do it ...Thanks

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

FAQ wrote:What makes an application "stealth"?

For the purpose for this website, "stealth" means when an application is launched, used and terminated properly, it does not leave behind any entries in the registry or filesystem. Certain exceptions are permitted. For example, registry entries that are created/updated by Windows for the application (eg. MRU entries for dialog boxes, DirectX entries for DirectX-based apps), or temp files created in the official "Temp" folders are not taken into consideration. Note: "Stealth" does not mean non-traceability! In fact, it is quite unlikely you can hide your activities on a Windows machine from a capable system administrator.

vmars316

#12 Post by vmars316 »

vmars316 wrote: I would like to 'select text' by column .
Turns out PsPad does a great job
& operates as one would intuitive expect .

billon

#13 Post by billon »

vmars316 wrote:I would like to 'select text' by column .
try select with ALT pressed

vmars316

#14 Post by vmars316 »

No, still doesn't work .
Neither does shift+alt+arrows .
As soon as ALT is pressed ,the arrows freeze .

Mike.S.G.

Notepad++ v6.7.5

#15 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Notepad++ v6.7.5

... http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.5.html

Notepad++ v6.7.5 new features and bug fixes:
  • Add ghost typing feature: launch Notepad++ with the auto-typing text from command line (via command line with argument -qn, -qt or -qf).
  • Fix auto-insert bad behaviour : under some condition typing " or ' makes erase the further " or '.
  • Fix the crash issue while user Ctrl + double click on an empty document.
  • Fix crash bug on loading dropbox settings.
  • Show progress window instead of a static window during FindInFiles and ReplaceInFiles.
  • Filename rendered incorrectly on tab bar while it contains '&' character.
  • Make highlighting (if enabled) follow typing for Incremental search, and add several Incremental search enhancements.
  • Add the followings notifications for plugins : NPPN_BEFORESHUTDOWN NPPN_CANCELSHUTDOWN NPPN_FILEBEFORERENAME NPPN_FILERENAMECANCEL NPPN_FILERENAMED NPPN_FILEBEFOREDELETE NPPN_FILEDELETEFAILED NPPN_FILEDELETED
  • Make keystroke ENTER trigger the shortcut editor dialog in Shortcut Mapper.
  • Allow drop files onto doc switcher and other side panels.
  • Installer remembers user's choices of last installation.
  • Fix Auto-indent in new code block not respecting current EOL bug.
  • Restore focus to editor when a panel is closed.