is there a program similar to Desktop Media?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
giulia
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am

is there a program similar to Desktop Media?

#1 Post by giulia » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 am

Hi

i'm looking for a program similar Desktop Media http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2121

that let me use use for example icon ,png to personalize it

like linux or lion osx

would like to have an icon on the desktop when i plug a usb stick ,or connect an external hard dik

would realy cool to have an icon when i mount a truecrypt container or partition

is there one?

thanks

User avatar
Midas
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Location: Sol3

Re: Desk Drive

#2 Post by Midas » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:13 am

The only alternative out there seems to be Desk Drive, which requires DotNET: http://mike-ward.net/deskdrive.
  • deskdrive[1].png
So I use Desktop Media on XP and Desk Drive on Windows 7.

User avatar
giulia
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am

Re: Desk Drive

#3 Post by giulia » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:14 am

Midas wrote:The only alternative out there seems to be Desk Drive, which requires DotNET: http://mike-ward.net/deskdrive.
  • deskdrive[1].png
So I use Desktop Media on XP and Desk Drive on Windows 7.

thanks Midas
desk drive can customize the icon , can't it?
donet do u mean Framework ?

User avatar
Midas
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Location: Sol3

Re: Desk Drive

#4 Post by Midas » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 am

giulia wrote:thanks Midas
desk drive can customize the icon , can't it?
donet do u mean Framework ?
  • You're welcome. No and yes, respectively. :)

donald
Posts: 562
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:14 am
Location: knoxville TN USA

Re: is there a program similar to Desktop Media?

#5 Post by donald » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:42 pm

@giulia
If you want to alter the programs icon Resource Hacker may work.

If you want to change the drive icon that is easily set with an .inf file and an icon.

An example autorun.inf

Code: Select all

[AutoRun]
icon=Racecar.ico
open=\
action=
To clarify place the .inf file and the .ico file in the root of the drive and on next insertion the icon will be changed. (This change will appear on all computers that you plug the drive in.)

User avatar
Midas
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Location: Sol3

Re: is there a program similar to Desktop Media?

#6 Post by Midas » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26 am

Just found another two Desktop Media alternatives, one of them right here at TPFC: :shock:

- AutoStart (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=990)
- DesktopUSB (http://www.smart-arab.com/2012/10/displ ... n-desktop/)

User avatar
giulia
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am

Re: is there a program similar to Desktop Media?

#7 Post by giulia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 am

Midas wrote:Just found another two Desktop Media alternatives, one of them right here at TPFC: :shock:

- AutoStart (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=990)
- DesktopUSB (http://www.smart-arab.com/2012/10/displ ... n-desktop/)
hi
thanks!
desktopusb looks cool but sadly can't customize the icons
could be make it portable?

User avatar
Midas
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 am
Location: Sol3

Re: is there a program similar to Desktop Media?

#8 Post by Midas » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:17 am

giulia wrote:Desktopusb looks cool but sadly can't customize the icons; could be make it portable?

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 9905
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: is there a program similar to Desktop Media?

#9 Post by webfork » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:48 am

giulia wrote:that let me use use for example icon ,png to personalize it
There's a trick for this using the autorun.inf file mentioned over on lifehacker (first mentioned here in forums by Island Boy). It works even if you have the autorun tool disabled in Windows XP, which you should. I use xpy to disable autorun (it's under the "usability" menu).

Post Reply