Google Drive alternatives

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Google Drive alternatives

#1 Post by webfork »

So after extensive testing and multiple updates, Google Drive is crap on Win7x64, crashing 2-3 times a week. I'm trying to work up another method using one of various tools. Duplicati will connect but only do backups (I need to sync) and I've got to physically move files into CarotDAV and Cyberduck (not portable). Any suggestions?

I'm also available to simply not using GDrive any longer. Any storage service will work, including (although not ideally) standard FTP.

Some other options/services I looked into:
  • TeamDrive Portable - which had some issues of it's own when I last tested it
  • Dropbox Portable AHK - I don't know it's status or how it's being maintained.
  • Wuala had a LOT of issues when I last tested in a few months back. At the time of testing, it wasn't the least bit portable.
Suggestions?

Ascend4nt

Re: Google Drive alternatives

#2 Post by Ascend4nt »

I'm happy using SugarSync, although the free storage limit isn't as good as say, Copy. However, SugarSync lets you set the folders to sync and allows you to selectively exclude certain folders from synching, which is something I haven't seen in any other cloud service. Plus it has mobile device support that seems to work decent enough.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:
As far as I know, DPAHK is still regularly updated -- at least whenever Dropbox upgrades their client application, DPAHK needs to be prevented from doing the same because of later version incompatibilities. And contrary to what some think, DPAHK is secure, because you can set an access password to encrypt its settings.

On a related note, have you seen this?

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:As far as I know, DPAHK is still regularly updated
Allright, I'll give it another try -- thanks.
Ascend4nt wrote:I'm happy using SugarSync ... it has mobile device support that seems to work decent enough.
That would be nice. I'll look into that as well.

Thanks Midas and Ascend4nt

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

... Found this, too: http://storagemadeeasy.com/personal_solution/
SME enables individuals to manage multiple information stores from one virtualised cloud file system and works across Windows, Mac, Linux on the desktop & iPhone/iPad, Android, Windows Phone & BlackBerry on mobile clients to provide seamless multi-cloud access.
Free accounts get 5GB.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:... Found this, too: http://storagemadeeasy.com/personal_solution/
The cloud FTP access is very interesting. There are a lot of programs here on the site that just have no way of talking to cloud programs and SME could be a nice bridge for them.

DavidB

#7 Post by DavidB »

Don't know if these services have the features you want, but thought I'd mention these free online storage services:

Adrive: adrive.com
Mega: mega.co.nz
Copy: copy.com
Box: box.com
Windows Live SkyDrive
MyShoebox: shoeboxapp.com (intended for photos)
SpiderOak: spideroak.com (encrypts all files by default)