Opera [Chrome based browser]

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Re: Is Opera 15 standard portable or not ?

#61 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller

#62 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:Opera just dropped XP and Vista: http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/3700/
This happened back in May when Chrome and Chromium dropped XP and Vista. Opera is still maintaining an old 37.x build for XP that XP users will have installed when they download the Opera stub installer but it's unknown how long they will maintain it or if they will announce when they stop maintaining it and it has known security issues (similar to Opera 12.x).
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#63 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:This happened back in May when Chrome and Chromium dropped XP and Vista.
Good to know, thanks.

We have something for the Iron browser on that point but Chromium is still listing Vista so I'll get that fixed. The Google Chrome Portable entry is correct thanks to billon.

Midas

#64 Post by Midas »

I'm not an Opera user, but I found this at Ghacks.net:

joby_toss

#65 Post by joby_toss »

Not so long time ago, they couldn't care less about the portable version of their browser and now they officially release it! Alongside their first 64 bit version! Man, they're getting desperate! :)

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016 ... -0-update/
It’s a new version of the Opera Network Installer, with the user interface better suited for portable installations.
The portable installer provides the stand-alone version selected by default (no need to dive into the Options section), detects portable drives automatically and suggests installation to these devices by default.

smaragdus

Re: Opera adding Ads to the New Tab Page

#66 Post by smaragdus »

Opera adding Ads to the New Tab Page
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/16/opera ... -tab-page/

I suppose the database entry may be granted the ADWARE label.

SYSTEM

Re: Opera adding Ads to the New Tab Page

#67 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote:I suppose the database entry may be granted the ADWARE label.
Added.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

giulia

#68 Post by giulia »

hi
may i know why recently opera is marked Adware?
thanks

SYSTEM

#69 Post by SYSTEM »

giulia wrote:hi
thanks
The two posts right above yours.

giulia

#70 Post by giulia »

SYSTEM wrote:
thanks
yes
i have read but there is no information about when opera start to be bundle with adware

thanks

SYSTEM

#71 Post by SYSTEM »

giulia wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:
thanks
yes
i have read but there is no information about when opera start to be bundle with adware

thanks
According to the article smaragdus linked, it started in Opera 45, which was released on May 10.

giulia

#72 Post by giulia »

SYSTEM wrote:
According to the article smaragdus linked, it started in Opera 45, which was released on May 10.
hi
thank you so much

Specular

#73 Post by Specular »

Something I can't figure out is how to disable auto updates on the PortableApps version of Opera (Blink). It auto updates my portable install to the latest version, which is surprising as I don't recall any other portable browsers I've unpacked doing this in the past.

No results for 'update' in the settings or flags. Is there no way to stick to a particular version?

JohnTHaller

#74 Post by JohnTHaller »

Specular wrote:Something I can't figure out is how to disable auto updates on the PortableApps version of Opera (Blink). It auto updates my portable install to the latest version, which is surprising as I don't recall any other portable browsers I've unpacked doing this in the past.

No results for 'update' in the settings or flags. Is there no way to stick to a particular version?
You will have to manually remove the file Opera\Releases\OperaPortable\App\Opera\OPERA.VERSION.NUMBER.HERE\opera_autoupdate.exe. Opera provides no mechanism to disable or delay updates internally. This is in contrast to Firefox, which allows you to set it to notify but not update, which is how Firefox Portable is configured. The portable version of Opera is setup to automatically update when used by itself and not to when used with the PortableApps.com Platform since you'd be using the PortableApps.com Updater to safely update all your apps.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Specular

#75 Post by Specular »

JohnTHaller wrote:You will have to manually remove the file Opera\Releases\OperaPortable\App\Opera\OPERA.VERSION.NUMBER.HERE\opera_autoupdate.exe. Opera provides no mechanism to disable or delay updates internally.

The portable version of Opera is setup to automatically update when used by itself and not to when used with the PortableApps.com Platform since you'd be using the PortableApps.com Updater to safely update all your apps.
Thanks. So if I'm understanding it correctly using the PA Platform program somehow prevents the installation of the automatically downloaded auto updates upon relaunch?