Opera [Chrome based browser]

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
joby_toss

Re: Is Opera 15 standard portable or not ?

#31 Post by joby_toss »

Just had another look at the latest build. It almost feels better than Chrome. I think Opera 15 is gonna be the BOMB! Wait... wtf is in my drink?

freakazoid

#32 Post by freakazoid »

One thing I don't quite understand is why Opera 15 doesn't just let you install / use Chrome's extensions from Chrome's web store.

I've added a hack Opera extension that allows you to install Chrome extensions, but even that does not make Chrome's extensions 100% compatible. It appears that Opera does a few things a little differently than stock Chromium under the hood.
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#33 Post by guinness »

Because Chrome and Chromium are separate products and Google has probably said to Opera "...by all means use Blink and support the extension API, as you're well with in your rights to do so. But do not allow users to install Chrome extensions as these are intended for the Chrome browser only." OR It might be a feature that will be added at a later stage of development.

SYSTEM

#34 Post by SYSTEM »

guinness wrote:Because Chrome and Chromium are separate products and Google has probably said to Opera "...by all means use Blink and support the extension API, as you're well with in your rights to do so. But do not allow users to install Chrome extensions as these are intended for the Chrome browser only." OR It might be a feature that will be added at a later stage of development.
I think Google can't keep third-party browsers from supporting Chrome extensions. For example, the developer of the rekonq web browser is working on Chrome extension support: http://adjamblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/ ... n-support/. Besides, Chrome extensions work on Chromium as well.

BTW, I found an interesting feature: it's possible to move back and forth in history by holding shift and using the scroll wheel.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#35 Post by guinness »

It appears Opera has made it out of beta into stable >> http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... 2/opera-15

joby_toss

#36 Post by joby_toss »

I don't remember a more disappointing release.

SYSTEM

#37 Post by SYSTEM »

I switched to Maxthon.

By the way, I attached an icon I have drawn a long time ago. It fits Opera 15 quite well. ;)
Attachments
Chropera.gif
Chropera.gif (1.34 KiB) Viewed 46675 times
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tproli

#38 Post by tproli »

Maxthon looks like the (real) final version of the all-new Opera. I feel the GUI slow sometimes but otherwise it is really impressive.

joby_toss

#39 Post by joby_toss »

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... -of-ctrl-d
..However, after listening to your feedback, the first thing we have done is to make sure to prioritize the work on native bookmarking functionality. ...
That's a start...a bit unnatural at this point in time, but still a start.

freakazoid

#40 Post by freakazoid »

joby_toss wrote:http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... -of-ctrl-d
..However, after listening to your feedback, the first thing we have done is to make sure to prioritize the work on native bookmarking functionality. ...
That's a start...a bit unnatural at this point in time, but still a start.
Totally agree with you, joby_toss.

Opera's flip-flopping. I do understand that a lot of users use bookmarks, but I'm not one of them.

Stash is very handy, but I love Firefox's ability to tag bookmarks. Stash would be immensely more useful if I'm able to tag stashed items.
is it stealth? ;)

JohnTHaller

#41 Post by JohnTHaller »

For folks who are unaware, saved passwords in Opera 15 are entirely tied to each PC and are not portable as you move an Opera 15 portable install from PC to PC. This is due to the fact that webkit/Chromium/Blink/Chrome/Iron uses the Windows host OS' encryption on the password database and ties it to the individual PC. We'll be building our portablization tool to fix this as we have with the PA.c Format versions of Chrome, Chromium, and Iron. We're not yet pushing Opera 15 as stable, though, due to the poor performance of Stash on large imports of bookmarks on flash drives.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#42 Post by guinness »

JohnTHaller wrote:We'll be building our portablization tool to fix this as we have with the PA.c Format versions of Chrome, Chromium, and Iron.
How is that possible?

JohnTHaller

#43 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote:We'll be building our portablization tool to fix this as we have with the PA.c Format versions of Chrome, Chromium, and Iron.
How is that possible?
We wrote our own password decryption/encryption engine. So, it encrypts the database to the current PC before Chrome/Iron starts, Chrome can use it while running, then on exit, it decrypts it so it can be moved to another PC. Optionally, it can also securely encrypt it between runs using a separate non-PC-locked algorithm using a master password, which we recommend if you're not using a hardware encrypted drive like the PortableApps.com Carbide or full-drive software encryption like TrueCrypt and only using it on PCs you have admin rights on.

Google Chrome Portable, Iron Portable and Chromium Portable in PortableApps.com Format all utilize this today (that's why they are more complicated to actually make portable than Firefox is, for instance). When we release Opera Portable 15 in PortableApps.com Format, it'll use it, too. We just haven't done Opera yet due to performance and the fact that it needs a new custom package and custom code to handle the passwords as it's incompatible with the setups for Iron, Chromium, Chrome and Opera 12.16.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#44 Post by guinness »

Opera 17 aka Developer has been released >> http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... am-preview

webfork

#45 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:We'll be building our portablization tool to fix this as we have with the PA.c Format versions of Chrome, Chromium, and Iron. We're not yet pushing Opera 15 as stable, though, due to the poor performance of Stash on large imports of bookmarks on flash drives.
Are you introducing a master password?

This came up the other day when I looked at an analysis for Chrome storing passwords in plain text: http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=15376 As the article title indicates, so do other browsers. I use a master password (not available in Chrome) in Firefox in addition to other precautions. Although it can be brute forced, but would take a very long time.

In any case, if you're a standard Chrome user, it might be good reason to either enable BitLocker in Windows or use a password manager like KeePass or Gorilla.