Opera [Chrome based browser]

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
JohnTHaller

Re: Is Opera 15 standard portable or not ?

#76 Post by JohnTHaller »

Specular wrote:Thanks. So if I'm understanding it correctly using the PA Platform program somehow prevents the installation of the automatically downloaded auto updates upon relaunch?
When used with the PortableApps.com Platform, the Opera Portable launcher automatically renames the updater file I mentioned above to .disabled which prevents Opera from using it. Since the user is using the platform, they'll get a full update to the updated packaged version via the platform, so they also get launcher updates automatically. Leaving the updater active for non-platform users was done to ensure they're updating and staying secure. If Opera had a notify but don't auto update setting like Firefox, we'd have done that.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

bitcoin

Re: Is Opera 15 standard portable or not ? (4)

#77 Post by bitcoin »

this damn thing is storing 416 MB at AppData > Local > Programs and another 226 MB at AppData > Roaming

opsimathic

#78 Post by opsimathic »

Just to be clear, is "this damn thing" the portable version direct from Opera.com or the massaged version from portableapps.com? I've also ceased using Opera in portable mode for similar reasons. Thanks.

bitcoin

#79 Post by bitcoin »

opsimathic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:42 am Just to be clear, is "this damn thing" the portable version direct from Opera.com or the massaged version from portableapps.com? I've also ceased using Opera in portable mode for similar reasons. Thanks.
i think i grabbed the "portable" version from the Opera website.

i doubt a PAF version would do this

opsimathic

#80 Post by opsimathic »

Thanks bitcoin for the feedback- I have now downloaded the PAF version - let's see if it behaves itself.

Midas

Re: Opera [Chrome based browser]

#81 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Opera stable update v74.0.3911.107 released 2021-02-09 (announcement at blogs.opera.com/desktop/2021/02/opera-74-0-3911-107-stable-update/; changelog for dev v75 at blogs.opera.com/desktop/changelog-for-75/).

BTW, had not heard of this before: a gaming browser by Opera, currently in "early access" preview...