RealMeteo - satellite weather images

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
realmeteo

RealMeteo - satellite weather images

#1 Post by realmeteo »

Hi,
we need publish RealMeteo portable on this portal but have a doubt
we would like to publish RealMeteo portable on this portal, but we have a question: if the app requires registration to work (such as skype) will be admitted?
Many thanks

regards

P.s. more details about software on http://www.realmeteo.com/public/English.asp
P.s.2 more details about software on http://www.realmeteo.com/public/RealMet ... le_ENG.asp (article related suite portableapps to rewrite for generic data disk)

webfork

Re: RealMeteo portable TRY

#2 Post by webfork »

realmeteo wrote:we would like to publish RealMeteo portable on this portal, but we have a question: if the app requires registration to work (such as skype) will be admitted?
Unless you're posting a portable version of a widely used program (like Skype), having to register to get access means it's not considered freeware.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

I don't see it like webfork. I would consider an app freeware even if required to be registered (for free) to use it. But I will never register for a weather program. Why would anyone do that?

realmeteo

#4 Post by realmeteo »

Hi,
Initially, the software was pay per use, desktop and not portable.
Registration allows us to track how many users are using the application (every user increment a counter in database).
Then RealMeteo has been made free and portable.
As I mentioned in the first post, I use in my suite portableapps skype free, but I need to register or I can not use it.
Even the antivirus Avast that I use is freeware, but every year I have to renew registration or it stop to work.
And more....
But every think is a good think ......
joby_toss wrote:I don't see it like webfork. I would consider an app freeware even if required to be registered (for free) to use it. But I will never register for a weather program. Why would anyone do that?

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

realmeteo wrote:I use in my suite portableapps skype free, but I need to register or I can not use it.
Even the antivirus Avast that I use is freeware, but every year I have to renew registration or it stop to work.
Again, unless it's something widely used (Avast) or necessary to use the service in the first place (you can't use a chat service without a username and password), registration requirements fall into the nagware category.
realmeteo wrote:Initially, the software was pay per use, desktop and not portable ... Then RealMeteo has been made free and portable.
You may feel like giving this away for free and requiring a simple registration is perfectly reasonable, but I encourage you to see it from the user perspective: I've got to set with a fake email address service, wait for them to send the email, paste in whatever confirmation they've got and THEN I get to find out if I even WANT this program?
joby_toss wrote:I don't see it like webfork. I would consider an app freeware even if required to be registered (for free) to use it.
As above, I'd obviously throw it into the nagware category, but certainly given that there's no money changing hands, it's certainly free (as in beer).

realmeteo

RealMeteo PORTABLE

#6 Post by realmeteo »

Hi,
RealMeteo is ready for download from http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2485
People, check it out, please!

Many thanks

webfork

Re: RealMeteo PORTABLE

#7 Post by webfork »

realmeteo wrote:Hi,
RealMeteo is ready for download from http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2485
People, check it out, please!

Many thanks
I guess you didn't read my response:
webfork wrote:
realmeteo wrote:we would like to publish RealMeteo portable on this portal, but we have a question: if the app requires registration to work (such as skype) will be admitted?
Unless you're posting a portable version of a widely used program (like Skype), having to register to get access means it's not considered freeware.
Merging with the other thread. Please don't add things to the database that clearly aren't going to get added.