Internet Download Accelerator Portable

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
joby_toss

Internet Download Accelerator Portable

#1 Post by joby_toss »

http://www.westbyte.com/ida/
Internet Download Accelerator lets you to noticeably increase the speed of file download from the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP protocols. The acceleration is achieved by splitting a file being downloaded into several parts and downloading these parts at the same time. Internet Download Accelerator resumes broken downloads from where they left off from both HTTP, HTTPS and FTP servers.
The portable version of IDA has a number of limitations: no browser integration, the export and import of the settings are disabled.

Download

Saves settings to application folder.
Not stealth:
Accepts manual relative paths.
No commercial use.
Displays startup screen from time to time:
The download window has Pro version ad:
System requirements: Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003/2000/NT

The app feels very light/snappy. For me, it's a keeper!

webfork

Re: Internet Download Accelerator Portable

#2 Post by webfork »

Did you mean to put this into the Submission thread?

I don't really see a lot of trouble getting files quickly, so I don't have a specific use for this, but nice to know it's available. The main thing for me is being able to resume downloads, which I generally use FDM for.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:Did you mean to put this into the Submission thread?
No. Because of the ad/splash screen. It's not adware, though, 'cause it doesn't advertise other apps (just the full version of the same app).
webfork wrote:I don't really see a lot of trouble getting files quickly, so I don't have a specific use for this, but nice to know it's available. The main thing for me is being able to resume downloads, which I generally use FDM for.
Yes, it's not always about getting them quickly. I have one internet connection that stops working randomly and Opera or other browsers just stop the ongoing downloads, without resuming. This does not happen with FDM or the likes.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I have one internet connection that stops working randomly and Opera or other browsers just stop the ongoing downloads, without resuming. This does not happen with FDM or the likes.
Your issue could be unique, but that's what I used to use FDM for: resuming downloads on an unreliable connection.

smaragdus

#5 Post by smaragdus »

When the first Alphas of the "modern", brainless Free Download Manager came to light I got scared and I bought several commercial download managers, among them- Internet Download Accelerator. I like it best, it is cheap ($9) and as far as I know all future updates are free. So now I use IDA as a secondary download manager when FDM fails with certain downloads. I doubt whether the "classic" version of FDM will ever get any updates while the "modern" version is a disaster which I have never considered to use.