Softmaker FreeOffice

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
aazard

Re: Softmaker FreeOffice

#106 Post by aazard »

I run into a similar issue, portable office that could do docx/xlsx, try gnumeric (or spread32) and atlantis lite word processor. edit/create ebub/pdf too
^ thats about 12mb to 25mb

With xlsx2xls & docx2doc (freeware about 1mb each) you can opt you "just" the "wordform" and "spreadform" wordprocessor and spreadsheet from SSuite "personal" office (the most basic one)
Just keep only files needed for these 2 apps, it will break spell check, but tinyspell fixes that
It CAN also create pdf's (not edit ones it didnt make)

Thats about 4mb

PDF editor v1.13 can handle editing PDF's at 6.9mb

^ thats 11mb, but abit of "work" to work with docx/xlsx

WHO NEEDS A 100mb to 1gb Office suite?

webfork

#107 Post by webfork »

aazard wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:43 pm I run into a similar issue, portable office that could do docx/xlsx, try gnumeric (or spread32) and atlantis lite word processor
Atlantis is great but unfortunately isn't portable, but gnumeric and spread32 are.

I'd also recommend against the SSuite (Van Loo) toolset.

You're right that a lighter weight office suite definitely seems overdue. I remember every version of Word since 6.0 came with loads of clipart that nobody used -- I'm sure at least 1/2 of the install contains graphical elements that aren't necessary.

aazard

#108 Post by aazard »

webfork wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 pm
aazard wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:43 pm I run into a similar issue, portable office that could do docx/xlsx, try gnumeric (or spread32) and atlantis lite word processor
Atlantis is great but unfortunately isn't portable, but gnumeric and spread32 are.

I'd also recommend against the SSuite (Van Loo) toolset.

You're right that a lighter weight office suite definitely seems overdue. I remember every version of Word since 6.0 came with loads of clipart that nobody used -- I'm sure at least 1/2 of the install contains graphical elements that aren't necessary.
Atlantis Light portable instructions from publishers site: (I tested with with free and paid versions, no additional limitations or issues, THIS LITTLE GUY IS VERY POWERFUL)
https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/e ... drives.htm
Atlantis installs on a memory flash drive in the following way:

If you have already installed Atlantis on your PC,
Launch Atlantis on your computer as usual (if it is not running yet).
Run the "Tools | Install to Removable Drive..." command, and follow the onscreen instructions.
If you do not have Atlantis installed on your PC, or if you have Atlantis on your PC but do not want to transfer its current settings to the flash drive,
Download the latest setup of Atlantis, and run it on your system.
Specify a folder on your flash drive as the destination folder for the installation, and complete the setup.
After this, Atlantis is ready to be used from the flash drive. Simply connect the flash drive to a computer, locate the corresponding USB drive in Windows Explorer, and run the Atlantis executable from the USB drive ("awp.exe").

Atlantis will automatically use the settings stored on the USB stick. Any change to these settings will automatically be saved back to the USB drive. No changes will be made to the registry of the host PC.
Atlantis lite & FOSS Gnumeric do EVERYTHING but "powerpoint", and that has alternatives. Add snap database for a flatfile database app and "boom"

*Vanloo" SSuite Office stuff... PLEASE tell me why you say this, I have used SSuite stuff & recommended it for over a year and a 1/2 now < secuirty issues?

aazard

#109 Post by aazard »

In my testing: plz forgive formatting, if it annoys ppl (I can edit it out)

On the topic of "Freeoffice" < The current SoftmakerOffice "free forever" version. Portablized via app (when installed to a pc) menu tool, from a "full options install", then remove "languages you dont speak", FOR ME: all but English language & English help chm > Then UPX packed its 64.6mb on "disk", so I say, for function vs size, for "big name software" thats just WILD GOOD

I'm 100% suggesting this on "base installs" in the future, for size and ease of use + function level...I'm stellar impressed

^ Size (tested works 100%, "FreePDF not included") 64.6mb add "SlimPDF" v1.0.1.12 (last of v1) for an additional 1.3mb or "PDF Editor" for about 6mb more

- Atlantis lite (every option installed = size is 1.84mb, UPX packed)

- Spread32 size is 928kb, UPX packed

^ Combo of under 2.8mb epub, pdf, docx, csv, and xlsx supported (plus the "underlings" of these formats), small limits to numder of open docs and UI of spread32 is for pros imho

Spread32 can be "better replaced by" (better UI):

- Gnumeric - BUT A WILD 49.5mb IN SIZE!

MY personal Combo: UI is "easy for any user level" aprox 4.5mb, below

- SSuite "WordFormat2" ("stand-alone" will break built in spell check, use TinySpell),size is UNDER 700kb with needed files (eng/help) UPX packed

- SSuite "SpreadForm1" size is UNDER 450kb with needed files (eng/help) UPX packed

- TinySpell < 864kb, useful out of "office", also UPX packed

- SnapDB - Flatfile database, 507kb UPX packed

- Docx To Doc Converter.exe - 1.63mb UPX packed

- NW Xlsx Converter - 371kb UPX packed

I use Desktop Note OK (179kb, Software OK) SSuite Clever note (under 900kb), nPOPuk v304ssl (631kb) for email, and Exstora_Calendar v2.9 (433kb) as a desktop calander...blah blah

Here is "my office", SIZE: 12.5mb "on disk"

Last edited by aazard on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

webfork

#110 Post by webfork »

aazard wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:19 pm Atlantis Light portable instructions from publishers site: (I tested with with free and paid versions, no additional limitations or issues, THIS LITTLE GUY IS VERY POWERFUL)
https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/e ... drives.htm
If you cycle through the thread, you'll see some testing that was not actually portable when that process was followed. Additionally, we try not to require that users have a separate drive handy in order to install software if we can help it. But you're right that Atlantis Lite is an impressive program -- I've posted a few admiring things earlier in the program thread.
aazard wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:19 pm*Vanloo" SSuite Office stuff... PLEASE tell me why you say this, I have used SSuite stuff & recommended it for over a year and a 1/2 now < secuirty issues?
Some of it is detailed in my link above but the program interfaces aren't great, software quality is low (even Softpedia talked about buggy software), and tendency to rename and fragment is frankly legendary. There are at least a dozen of what seems to be slight changes and renaming on the same repackaged program. None of their software so far has come up portable in testing.
aazard wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:53 pm plz forgive formatting, if it annoys ppl (I can edit it out)
I'd appreciate that.

aazard

#111 Post by aazard »

Tried to clean that post up....

I'm testing Atlantis lite now, so far, Windows 98se (my copy is very updated) Works, up to win 10, following site's how too. setting changes reflected inside app folder/dir (I dont see other writes, other than standard page(swap)/logs)

(Win98se test bed: Board: Biostar 8433UUD (custom rewire, for ram/cache & WB/WT) Chipset: UMC Cpu: socket3 Pentium overdrive (133mhz P54C, custom, custom 12v cooler), RAM: 512mb fully WB cached or 768mb WT MAX (50ns, Fast page mode, 50mhz rated/detected) SSD: 2x Samsung 32gb Sata on sata pci card (cpu/8mb ram soldered on card raid 1/0, i use "0" 1x 32gb "disk" seen), GPU FX6800 512mb PCI, PCI usb 2.0 card, PCI 10/100/100 NIC (PCI slots full, ISA soundcard Creative AWE, IS PRESENT with 8mb additional simm), triboot, linux, windows98se, windows 7 (no sse fix)...hobby project from the 2010's

Portable note... I have 3 docx's open, and a epub + pdf...thats 5 doc's (site claims only 2 open docs on lite version...caused by "what", no clue) < can replicate, remaking usb

aazard

#112 Post by aazard »

Some of it is detailed in my link above but the program interfaces aren't great, software quality is low (even Softpedia talked about buggy software), and tendency to rename and fragment is frankly legendary. There are at least a dozen of what seems to be slight changes and renaming on the same repackaged program. None of their software so far has come up portable in testing.
on the spreadsheet/word processors in "personal" (the most basis non-pwa apps) < in daily use, in a production environment, 3 other team/colab members, multi PC's = NO REPORTED ISSUES, complaint, converting xlsx/docx (some find it, "time consuming" aka they dont like the extra step)

SSuite Cleaver Note: I use it daily personally, can store over 6gb of docs alone in a "briefcase", for over a year now (I back it up/sync it btw) = never an issue

UI = My nephew (14yo) uses it EVERY day for school (the desktop/full install, same app). He doesnt ask me anything, he just does... and he is not techie

Past that I use copy master, Gif Studio (*A+ rating on this one), and system monitor from SSuite (plus their PWA apps, the desktop/tv alot...). If other tools are iffy I could see that (MonoBase= scary, even the setup to a novice > Snap Database = friendly to anyone/easy)

IN MY TESTING:

Portable = easy, slightly messy, but nothing bad. the worst yo might need is to run "CleanAfterMe", a 60kb tool, to tidy up b4 the eject.
I have used them portable for atlease 6 months (the tools I named)

lets just say I'm big on testing options

aazard

#113 Post by aazard »

sorry to mention other tools, testing this app....

WOW! the features, the speed, the UI/ribbon! I copied it all over the place (testing) no loss of function!
*Heck It might be advisable to install it, make a portable USB copy, uninstall main app and copy USB copy back to PC's drive (as its a TON smaller.. 165mb vs 64mb)

If you go single language & all help Chm's are "joined", with redundant info omitted/combined, you can get it under 62mb FULL FUNCTION!

all 3 main apps can be "split off" (with their accompanying files/folders dll's etc), result, STILL FUNCTION (thats maddness, just want the text app, boom, just presenter...boom..any..easy to do too/well named).. works out of about 22mb to 24mb for each "stand alone", easier/smaller (well easier) using "limited option installs" then using the "make portable menu button" aka only install 1 app then make portable > repeat per app

Shocking, its 1 of VERY few app "licencee's" for use of docx/xlsx. I know of...4 other legal/fully free apps that have that ability, including spread32 & atlantis (the others are gnumeric & the "office" forks: free/libre office). Plus kingsoft (and I think they ignore copyright/PRC dev's) and freeoffice (and its cripple ware)

- It makes/edit epub (pdf with some limits/tricks)
- Plus it make pdf's from txt/rich sources, can view them, no default edit (sadly, but work-around trick at bottom of post). if thats its flaw...its hardly a "flaw" seeing they have a separate free pdf editor they offer also (but a 6mb PDFEdit will always win for me until "better" features at size come along)

This feature set is dumbfounding. It competes with FOSS, other Freeware, light payware ($5) to full business suites ($500+)...but is "free forever".

The last time 60 some-odd mb was an office suite... cd's were probably the hot new home pc add-on

Open and Libre office are well over 600mb to 700mb installed...and they offer what that "common users need" in addition? PDF editing, easily solved with "tiny" FOSS (or FreePDF companion app)

Thanks for mentioning it (this app/tool), with PDFedit it might become a "better but bigger" option, its just a "one stop shop"

*droping updater related files causes no issues, saves 2mb additional (gets it under 60mb), I'd save then to desktop for "when needed"

This app is a list topper/best in class on the site, WELL DONE! at 65mb disk space cost its ease and beauty of use/design (+ FOSS) are not challenged by another single app (respect to other FOSS office suites)

10% the weight of the closest "single suite" competitor, this app is an example of wonderfully made and free software, bonus point +9000, it has a "make portable button" on the app menu

65mb well spent/used by you, my mom, heck EVERYONE! Heavily considering contacting them about inclusion in my pack/release. 1 suite replacing a handful of apps that mimic its feature set? its 50mb "heavier" but you cant buy "all-in-one" ease of use cheaper than 50mb (esp when its freeware)

EDIT/NOTE: it does pptx format "natively" (as a default format to boot) also NOTHING ELSE CAN DO THIS * but MS software, to my knowledge

plus, it can edit PDF files IT MADE (or used "trick", below, on):
Include TextMaker document:Stores a copy of your TextMaker document inside the PDF file. This enables users to open the resulting PDF file directly in TextMaker. The program will thenextract the original TextMaker document from the PDF file and display it
Trick: A little conversion of "your non-self made source" pdf to an other document format (even via online), open that doc and re-export to pdf..you can now edit any pdf, no additional software needed
^ I test converted my .pdf (online) to .doc > opened in textmaker > exported back to pdf > then edited that pdf, a "T4 tax return" pdf (Canadian tax form), no issues (update rtf/docx test work 100% also)

I have emailed questioning "RE: Portable Version, Direct Redistribution", where I basically am inquiring in to the author's view on distrubiting the portable version, on their site directly, or with "directed instruction" places like here and PortableApps/ect

aazard

#114 Post by aazard »

Support answered me atfter 2am... not bad:

the correct portable method, according to emails with support is via post install menu, it omits "unneeded" files (but updater files weighting 2mb)

Support has no issue with UPX re-packaging, they note it "may impact performance/speed", but not function.

*mostly they were concerned that it be used "without removal of any files" copied by "USB Stick" menu tool copy process, as that DOES violate EULA.

I forgot to ask about removal of additional languages, but I ASSUME thats also "not suggested by support" & I bet it violates eula

This will also bypass "registration" but not on installed version, only the "made for usb stick" menu copied version (and I had registered main app already, so... grain of salt here, aka test yourself)

aazard

#115 Post by aazard »

bought full version, its 110 CND$ (I had done this with Atlantis for $40 CND also), its pretty good value, and deserves support (they give stuff away truly free) get it here:

https://www.softmaker.com/en/shop-softm ... e/purchase

support this app, too good to fade away. The commercial use terms are very generous @ the price, STARTING AT FREE, (they have no limits for home business or corporate organization past clearly stated "number of pc's" ones)

webfork

#116 Post by webfork »

vevy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:22 am It started asking for a "free product key". Wants email.

"Trial" can be reset by deleting
\SoftMaker\Settings\ofwfo18config.ini
although you'd have to redo a couple of settings (or copy FirstDayTime and FirstDayHash from the newly generated file into your old one and overwrite the new file).
I'm still testing this but it looks like you can modify this text file rather than delete it by pasting in the following content:

[ofw]
LastDetectedIconDpi=6291552
OnePixValue=0
OnePixFontAdjust=0
UITheme=2
FirstDayTime=1612501301
FirstDayHash=1290446148192403863628885438742003147888
FirstLaunch=1
UpdateCheckEnabled=0
[UserData]
Title=

I took this from the suggestion by aazard that the version saved via the standard copy-to-usb function doesn't have a registration prompt.

Midas

#117 Post by Midas »

Quoting here verbatim what user Nuno Silva commented in FO database entry:
There is also (with the same architecure) Ashampoo Free Office:

https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/office-free

a related, a bit older (2012), but rather compact, full-fledged compatible office suite.

One might need to supply an e-mail (may be temp) to get a product key.

To make it portable one just needs to have a file called "portable.txt" in its folder.
Judging from the site screenshots alone he appears to be right...

freakazoid

#118 Post by freakazoid »

Midas wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:13 am Quoting here verbatim what user Nuno Silva commented in FO database entry:
There is also (with the same architecure) Ashampoo Free Office:

https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/office-free

a related, a bit older (2012), but rather compact, full-fledged compatible office suite.

One might need to supply an e-mail (may be temp) to get a product key.

To make it portable one just needs to have a file called "portable.txt" in its folder.
Judging from the site screenshots alone he appears to be right...
If I had to guess, I think Ashampoo licensed Softmaker's FreeOffice. Softmaker allows OEMs to bundle their product: https://www.softmaker.com/en/about-us. Even Ashampoo's documentation references Softmaker products without changing the name: https://www.ashampoo.com/en-us/office-free/detail.
is it stealth? ;)