WebDAV client

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
tripex

WebDAV client

#1 Post by tripex »

Hi

Does anybody know a portable WebDAV client. I don't know exactly what BarracudaDrive is good for. I have an email provider with one GB storage, which is accessible via WebDAV but unfortunately not via FTP. I know and use WebDrive or NetDrive but it's totally non-portable.

CU
Andy

wini

#2 Post by wini »

BarracudaDrive is a WebDAV server not a client.
Try using Total Commander with the WebDAV client plugin.
tripex wrote:but unfortunately not via FTP.
FTP is old technology and is being replaced by WebDAV, which is much better for many reasons.

tripex

#3 Post by tripex »

Can't find a WebDAV plugin or is it included since version 7 and therefore not listed as a plugin anymore?

CU
Andreas

technicolordreamcoat

#4 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm

go there and look under file system extensions
"update webdav 1.6"
:wink:

tripex

#5 Post by tripex »

Strange, I'm pretty sure, I looked there before. Sorry for the inconvenience.

CU
Andy

tripex

#6 Post by tripex »

I found another Tool called DataFreeware. Even you have to register it's Freeware (Total Commander (even portable) isn't). But at least the registration is not portable and therefore on a fresh machine you will see a please register popup. :-(
I will use both for the first time.

CU
Andy

tripex

#7 Post by tripex »

wini wrote:FTP is old technology and is being replaced by WebDAV, which is much better for many reasons.
I have strong doubts, that FTP is ever being replaced. WebDAV seems to be very weak. Connections are breaking often, obviously there is no resume and finally it's not very well supported by the software producers. After trying NetDrive, DataFreeware and Total Commander with Plugin I can say, even not portable NetDrive is the best usable one of the 3.

DataFreeware: Freeware but you need to register to avoid the popup at every start. The registration code is stored in the registry not in an ini file. Otherwise it seems to be portable.

Total Commander: The Plugin seems to be a poor workaround only. It works, but I got some disconnections. No resume. Total Commander is not Freeware but portable and I think even stealth if you use the redirection parameters (CLI) for the 2 ini files.

NetDrive: Totally integrated into Windows (Explorer). You get a drive letter for each connection. Not portable at all but Freeware (AIK). You get a status bar during the transaction, which you don't have with Total Commander plugin. The disadvantage is, that the system (Windows Explorer) can hang, when there occurs a bad problem with the connection. In my Version 4.1 there is an option called "Transfer Files on separate connection" but for reasons unknown it's grayed out.

CU
Andy

Ameri-CAIN

Re: WebDAV client

#8 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

2 and 3 quarter years later, I find myself asking this same question? Has there been any new programs, or improvements to the ones mentioned in this post that would give me an awesome portable WebDAV Client? WinSCP appears have WebDAV protocol support added to their tracker, but it doesn't seem to have any visibility.

webfork

Re: WebDAV client

#9 Post by webfork »

It looks like a Firefox plugin has that capability, although I don't know if it works with the latest versions.

http://webfolder.mozdev.org/

Outside of that, the only group who will probably put that together is FileZilla. I hope they do.

http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... f=3&t=1505