Evernote Portable (custom launcher)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
3K3

Re: Evernote Portable (custom launcher)

#16 Post by 3K3 »

undine wrote:I don't use the cloud function.
Interesting.
undine wrote:...EXPORT the notes and then IMPORT them...
You should always use this procedure when you want to move notes.

3K3

#17 Post by 3K3 »

I updated EP launcher & first post.
Some of the major changes & features added
- Completely new 'Evernote.ini' file format
- Added launcher's config options:
  • Run Evernote When Windows Starts
    Show Tray Icon
    Keep Running In Tray
- Added LocalLow folder support
- (New) EvernoteStartup program
- New startup splash screen
- IMPORTANT: EP's profile folders are now stored in: Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile folder. Before they were in Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile -> Evernote.
If you are updating my EP package, you must move EP's profile folders from Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile -> Evernote to
Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile folder in order to be able to use them. You can then delete the empty Evernote folder.

Dan_Aykroyd

#18 Post by Dan_Aykroyd »

Thanks 3K3 for the iniciative, it's great!

A couple of comments maybe you can improve:

- I noticed that there were some leftovers after running the app sometimes. I wrote an AutoIt wrapper that would take care of them, but I'm letting you know so you can add those to your launcher:

Code: Select all

; Application registry keys
$RegistryKey1 = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MainConcept"

; Application directories
$DirectoryPath1 = @UserProfileDir & "|" & "AppData\LocalLow\Evernote"
Also, I noticed that no matter how I set the window size and position of Evernote (i.e.: Maximized), when closing and reopening it, it defaults to a predefined size and position, which is pretty uncomfortable. So I have to resize it every time. I've found the following registry values, but I don't know what to change them too or how Evernote handles them. I'd have to install the full app and track them, but I can't install it in my computer. Would you look into that too?

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\WindowPlacement]
"MainFrameWindow"=hex:2c,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
  ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,88,00,00,00,88,00,00,00,ce,04,00,00,50,02,00,00
"SingleNoteView"=hex:2c,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
  ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,aa,00,00,00,65,00,00,00,ab,04,00,00,73,02,00,00
"PrintPreviewView"=hex:2c,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,\
  ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,7d,00,00,00,7d,00,00,00,7e,04,00,00,8b,02,00,\
Thanks again for your great work and keep it coming! :lol:

3K3

#19 Post by 3K3 »

Hello Dan_Aykroyd
Dan_Aykroyd wrote:Thanks 3K3 for the iniciative, it's great!
You are welcome. :)
---
MainConcept key
Are you sure about MainConcept key? Is it possible that some other app is leaving this key behind? Could you check this again, please?

LocalLow Evernote dir
LocalLow -> Evernote -> Evernote is already included in the current launcher.
I'm aware of one situation where LocalLow -> Evernote -> Evernote is left behind: closing Evernote while the IE is still running (after using IE clipper). I'm going to take care of this in the next version (I hope soon). Maybe something like warning message box with the option to close IE before the launcher closes,...

Window size & position
The key that you posted is holding Evernote's window settings.
You could try to delete this key (and its values) in rs.reg file (its at the end) and see if it helps.
---

I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Dan_Aykroyd

#20 Post by Dan_Aykroyd »

Thanks, glad you got my message! Your launcher is a great idea and I'm using it since I've found it, plus it's the only one on the Interwebz :), so you could potentially get quite a community of people using it!

About the MainConcept key, it's created when I tried to play an audio note, I observed in real time how the key got created. Then, deleted the key, when to play an audio file again and the same key appeared (100% reproducible). At the end, I googled it and it's like some codec or something, probably trying to play the file. I say trying because I couldn't achieve it. It was an .amr recorded from the phone and after pressing "Play" in Evernote, it wouldn't do anything. I don't think that's a problem with your implementation though, but in any case, can you confirm if you can play .amr from it?

Regards,

Dan_Aykroyd

#21 Post by Dan_Aykroyd »

Oh, by the way, I forgot. When trying to create an new audio recording, I get the Evernote message: "Evernote cannot start audio recording. Please check Help/Activity Log for details"

Do you experience the same?

3K3

#22 Post by 3K3 »

Sorry for late reply. Here's what I found.
I could not reproduce the MainConcept key (different computers with different OSs, *.amr, *.mp3, *.wav ). If no one else reports similar as you did then I will not include this key in the next launcher.
I did experienced problems playing *.amr files and recording audio notes only on Windows 8. No problems on XP or 7. So I guess these are incompatibility issues with the newest Windows. Will look into this further later when I have more free time. I'm currently very busy.
It would be helpful if you would say which OS,... you are running EN on.

Dan_Aykroyd

#23 Post by Dan_Aykroyd »

Sure, sorry, I'm running it on Windows 7 x64. Here, the "MainConcept" key is fully reproducible all the time, when trying to play an audio file. And also, can't record anything. Do you need to have an app installed for that?

No problem for me if you don't include it, I already created my launcher as a standard wrapper that clean things up that yours doesn't. But I think you should try to make your launcher as universal as possible, by processing every possible related entry in every possible computer, in order to cover all the userbase and their configurations.

Dan_Aykroyd

#24 Post by Dan_Aykroyd »

Oh, a question I forgot to ask:

When an Evernote update gets launched, how should I proceed to install it? Directly from the Evernote update notification (will it update "portably"?), or should I download the full .exe version from their site, extract the files and then replace them in the App folder?

Thanks,

3K3

#25 Post by 3K3 »

Dan_Aykroyd wrote:Oh, a question I forgot to ask:

When an Evernote update gets launched, how should I proceed to install it? Directly from the Evernote update notification (will it update "portably"?), or should I download the full .exe version from their site, extract the files and then replace them in the App folder?

Thanks,
You must download the installer, extract files and replace old files with new ones.
You can download the installer through EN - the installer file will be in Profile -> AutoUpdate folder or from the EN homepage.

aroeira

#26 Post by aroeira »

Good Night Everybody

first of all, i would like to thank 3K3 for this very very good work.

i'e been using evernote for sometime, but always the web version, because i my work, they have a very strict policy regarding these kinds of software and i was never allowed to install evernote app.

the web application is very limited, but has been working because i had no other chance.... until this past week... :)

but, as i said about the restriction policies that exists, there is also another question, about a proxy server to access the internet, which, apparently the evernote application does not support. is there anyway to make this happen, or do i have to make new notes on a portable drive, and the sync them in my home pc?

best regards
Paulo

3K3

#27 Post by 3K3 »

Hello aroeira :)
aroeira wrote: first of all, i would like to thank 3K3 for this very very good work.
You are welcome.:D
aroeira wrote: but, as i said about the restriction policies that exists, there is a lso another question, about a proxy server to access the internet, which, apparently the evernote application does not support. is there anyway to make this happen, or do i have to make new notes on a portable drive, and the sync them in my home pc?
I'm afraid I can not help you with the proxy issue.:( I would suggest that you post your question (with detail description) regarding proxy on Evernote forums. I hope they will be able to help you. Good luck.
It looks like syncing from your home pc is your only option for now.:(

redyardbird

#28 Post by redyardbird »

Hi there,
Thank you so much for this product, seems to work great after a couple of days.
My only question/request is that "note links" when used as hyperlinks from outside evernote, don't seem to open evernote and go to the note in question.
For instance I used to be able to insert "note links" hyperlinks into outlook tasks, and these would open in evernote, however this doesn't seem to work anymore.
Any ideas? Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Cheers
Trent

3K3

#29 Post by 3K3 »

redyardbird wrote:Hi there,
Thank you so much for this product, seems to work great after a couple of days.
Hello redyardbird.
You are welcome. :D
redyardbird wrote:My only question/request is that "note links" when used as hyperlinks from outside evernote, don't seem to open evernote and go to the note in question.
For instance I used to be able to insert "note links" hyperlinks into outlook tasks, and these would open in evernote, however this doesn't seem to work anymore.
Any ideas? Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Cheers
Trent
You are not doing anything wrong. Feature, that you are describing, is simply not included in the current launcher.
I will add it in the next version. In the meantime you can add this function yourself (on your own pc of course).
Add below keys with values in the registry (change the path to 'EC-Evernote.exe' accordingly).
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\evernote]
@="Evernote Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\evernote\shell\open\command]
@="\"DriveLetter:\\Path\\To\\EC-Evernote.exe\" \"%1\""
Thank you for your feedback. :)

ktp

#30 Post by ktp »

Hello,

Under Windows 7-64, it seems that I need to run Evernote Portable in administrator mode in order to keep the settings (login, options etc..). Is it true ?