Evernote Portable (custom launcher)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
3K3

Evernote Portable (custom launcher)

#1 Post by 3K3 »

Evernote Portable

===================================
New launcher is available for download: version 4.2.0.73
===================================

I’m sharing my custom launcher and a guide how to make portable package.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
About Evernote
Keep everything in sync
With Evernote, all of your notes, web clips, files and images are made available on every device and computer you use.
Remember things you like
Save everything cool and exciting you see online and in the real world. Snap a photo, record some audio and save it.
Save favorite webpages
Save entire webpages to your Evernote account with our nifty web clipper browser extensions. You get the whole page: text, images and links.
Research better
Collect information from anywhere into a single place. From text notes to web pages to files to snapshots, everything is always at your fingertips.
Work with friends and colleagues
Share your notes and collaborate on projects with friends, colleagues and classmates.
Plan your next trip
Keep all of your itineraries, confirmations, scanned travel documents, maps, and plans in Evernote, so you’ll have them when you need them.

Evernote Overview

Evernote Homepage

About The Launcher
Evernote Portable launcher enables you to use Evernote client as a fully portable application.
Some of the launcher's features:
* Launcher is the only tool you need to build and update portable package.
* Supports multiple user profiles.
* Launcher enables you to use Evernote clipper for IE and Outlook, Send To shortcut, notes hyperlinks... + some launcher's extra/unique features like enex file association.
* Live and constant shell integration of the Evernote functions.
* Supports Chrome and Firefox web clippers.
* Supports 64-bit versions of clippers, contact connector.

Launcher Options (\Evernote Portable\Profiles\Launcher.ini)
[.]
Profile Folder=here you must specify user profile folder name that you would like to create and/or use.
You can use launcher variables (2):
1. %USER% - name of the logged in user
2. %CN% - name of the current PC

ENP Folder Icon=you can set special icon of the Evernote Portable folder.
1=enabled
0=disabled

[MyProfileFolderName]
Profile Path=here you can specify custom user profile folder path. Path must be absolute - you can use system environment variables. Default folder for profile folders is \Evernote Portable\Profiles folder.

Start In Tray=when enabled, ENP starts in tray.
1=enabled
0=disabled

Tray Icon=when enabled, Evernote icon is showed in the task bar notification area.
1=enabled
0=disabled
Note: when 'Start Evernote At Login' and/or 'Start In Tray' are/is enabled, 'Tray Icon' option is ignored.

Debug Menu=when enabled, [Debug] menu is added to menus.
1=enabled
0=disabled
Note: to be able to use this option 'Start In Tray' option must be disabled.

Temp Path=here you can specify custom temporary folder path of the ENP temp files. Path must be absolute - you can use system environment variables. Default temporary folder is user's %TEMP% folder.

Fonts Path=absolute full path of the fonts folder that you would like to use. Separate multiple paths with semicolon.

Web Browser Path=you can use custom web browser to open web links in EN notes. Path must be absolute.

Mail Client Path=you can use custom mail client to open mailto links in EN notes. Path must be absolute.
Options available (3):
1. Mail Client Path=My\Custom\Mail\Client\Path (e.g. Path\of\the\Thunderbird\Client)
2. Mail Client Path=My\Custom\Mail\Client\Path (web browser path)#GMail or HotMail or some other mail provider's parameter for mailto protocol
3. Mail Client Path=GMail or HotMail (launcher uses web browser from 'Web Browser Path' option as a mail client)

Profile Folder Icon=you can set special icon of the profile folder.
1=enabled
0=disabled

Integrate=when enabled, shell integration options (enex file association, SendTo shortcut, notes hyperlinks) stay on the local PC after launcher is closed down. Recommended to enable only on your own device.
1=enabled
0=disabled
Note: all integration options are always active and available for you to use while ENP is running.

Start Evernote At Login=enables ENP (EN Tray) to start when user logs in. Launcher puts startup value in the registry. Recommended to enable this integration option only on your own device.
1=enabled
0=disabled

Desktop Shortcut=you can create shortcut (Evernote Portable) on user's desktop. Recommended to enable this integration option only on your own device.
1=enabled
0=disabled

Start Menu Shortcut=you can create shortcut (Evernote Portable) in user's start menu. Recommended to enable this integration option only on your own device.
1=enabled
0=disabled

Creating Portable Package
Guide is short and simple. Launcher (wizard) completely automates building of the portable package.

Download and extract 'ENP_Launcher.zip' to a location of your choice (USB key, external HD, desktop PC,...).
Download Evernote installer into \Evernote Portable\Profiles\Profile1\AutoUpdate folder, run the launcher and follow wizard instructions.
You can see the animation guide how to create/update portable package in 'Updating ENP' section below.

Always use 'Evernote(P).exe' in Evernote Portable folder to start Evernote Portable.

ENP Profile Folders, Files, Settings
ENP's profile folders, files (databases,…) and settings are in \Evernote Portable\Profiles\MyProfileFolderName folder.
To backup your notes,..., copy MyProfileFolderName folder to location of your choice - where you keep your backups.

Moving Profile Folder
If you would like to move profile folder to some other location you must first close ENP.
Move profile folder to new location.
In 'Launcher.ini' file update profile folder location:
[MyProfileFolderName]
Profile Path=My\New\Profile\Folder\Path

Updating ENP
At notification, that the new version is available, download the update.
When you get notification that Evernote update is ready to be installed, choose 'Remind Me Later' option and close everything.
Restart the launcher and follow the instructions.

Update process - animation guide

Adding Dictionaries
Download
"http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/sea ... tags%3A157" dictionary.
Open downloaded file with archive program (7-Zip,...).
Extract .dic and .aff files into \Evernote Portable\VersionNumber\Dict folder.
Select dictionary in Tools -> Options -> Language tab -> Spelling.

Launcher Download
Evernote Portable (Launcher)
ENP_Launcher.zip
(156.83 KiB) Downloaded 1833 times
MD5: daf036bddf89cc1ea4ed8202988ffc4c (zip archive)
SHA256: cfe23a7ebfa40c0ba6a57e8d9bcab949e2c6de2b7f063e662689e991623bd0cb (zip archive)

VirusTotal

Useful Links
Getting Started with Evernote

Knowledge Base

Evernote Status

Evernote for Windows

Enjoy!
Last edited by 3K3 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:43 am, edited 25 times in total.

Midas

Re: Evernote Portable (custom launcher)

#2 Post by Midas »

Excellent work. I will be experimenting this ASAP. Thanks, :)

3K3

#3 Post by 3K3 »

Midas wrote:Excellent work. I will be experimenting this ASAP. Thanks, :)
You are welcome :D

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I’m sharing my custom launcher and a guide how to make portable package (PP).
If portable and the features work similar to the regular client, this could be a very positive bump for portable software as a whole. Thanks.

3K3

#5 Post by 3K3 »

webfork wrote:If portable and the features work similar to the regular client, this could be a very positive bump for portable software as a whole. Thanks.
Thank you for your comment and you are welcome. :)
Before making Evernote launcher I set myself a goal to preserve all (or most) of the features that installed version has. For example: while running portable version, you have clipping ability in IE,...

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Tested using local profile: everything as expected. 8)

Minor issue: the 'Show Splash Screen=0' setting from evernote.ini disables the start up splash screen but not the closing one...

Had to create a new account for online synch. Refrained from installing the Clipper addon in Firefox, since it's currently getting a lot of flack from users. Mostly remedied with the capture selection keyboard shortcut (Win+A by default).

The free version is ad supported, and the ads bugged me at first; until I decided to hide the Left Panel (F10). Presto, ads gone. While at it, I decided to also hide the Notes Panel (Ctrl+F11) since this coupled with the snippet view (Ctrl+F6) provides for a much leaner interface -- I rather prefer to double click to get a new window for full note reading, as this allows me to minimize the program main window.

New users might benefit from reading the Evernote for Windows User Guide, downloadable from http://evernote.com/about/support/Evern ... rGuide.pdf.

Thanks again. :)

3K3

#7 Post by 3K3 »

Midas wrote:Tested using local profile: everything as expected. 8)

Minor issue: the 'Show Splash Screen=0' setting from evernote.ini disables the start up splash screen but not the closing one...

Had to create a new account for online synch. Refrained from installing the Clipper addon in Firefox, since it's currently getting a lot of flack from users. Mostly remedied with the capture selection keyboard shortcut (Win+A by default).

The free version is ad supported, and the ads bugged me at first; until I decided to hide the Left Panel (F10). Presto, ads gone. While at it, I decided to also hide the Notes Panel (Ctrl+F11) since this coupled with the snippet view (Ctrl+F6) provides for a much leaner interface -- I rather prefer to double click to get a new window for full note reading, as this allows me to minimize the program main window.

New users might benefit from reading the Evernote for Windows User Guide, downloadable from http://evernote.com/about/support/Evern ... rGuide.pdf.

Thanks again. :)
Thank you Midas for taking time to write feedback. :D
I'm glad to hear everything is working OK.

About closing splash screen
You can not turn it off. The closing splash screen pops up when the launcher has finished managing current session (cleaning, restoring,...). You could take it as a "check point": you can easily see when the launcher is done and it's kind of cool (well, at least I think so). But if it really bothers you I can make another launcher with the option to turn it off (if you want).

Thank you also for the Evernote user guide link. I think it's a very valuable piece of info.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

3K3 wrote:About closing splash screen. You can not turn it off. The closing splash screen pops up when the launcher has finished managing current session (cleaning, restoring,...). You could take it as a "check point": you can easily see when the launcher is done and it's kind of cool (well, at least I think so). But if it really bothers you I can make another launcher with the option to turn it off (if you want).
No biggie, do as you wish; I pointed it out because it's a consistency failure...
3K3 wrote:Thank you also for the Evernote user guide link. I think it's a very valuable piece of info.
I'm glad I was able to contribute back. Thanks again. 8)

marjancinober

#9 Post by marjancinober »

Hi guys!

Nooo! To Continue type in Administrator password

Running from USB
G:\PortableApps\Evernote Portable\EC-Evernote

Tried
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2058426026-1776627312-1532313055-7641_Classes\evernote\shell\open\command]
@="\"G:\\PortableApps\\Evernote Portable\\App\\Evernote.exe\" \"%1\""
but, it's not helping.

Is there anything to resolve this without Admin password? Doing some registry changes manually or whatever..

Thanks Regards
Marjan

3K3

#10 Post by 3K3 »

marjancinober wrote:Hi guys!

Nooo! To Continue type in Administrator password

Running from USB
G:\PortableApps\Evernote Portable\EC-Evernote

Tried
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2058426026-1776627312-1532313055-7641_Classes\evernote\shell\open\command]
@="\"G:\\PortableApps\\Evernote Portable\\App\\Evernote.exe\" \"%1\""
but, it's not helping.

Is there anything to resolve this without Admin password? Doing some registry changes manually or whatever..

Thanks Regards
Marjan
Hello Marjan. :)
Sorry to hear you've got problems with EP. :(
Download new launcher from link in the first post.
Please, post back how it's working for you.
----------
Just for your info
When associating "things" with portable applications, always associate to the launcher, not to the main exe.

3K3

#11 Post by 3K3 »

I updated the launcher.
-Added option to turn off closing splash screen (Evernote.ini)

3K3

#12 Post by 3K3 »

Evernote v4.5.6.6884 is out.
You can download the installer through update (or from homepage). The installer will be in Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile -> Evernote -> AutoUpdate folder. To update the portable package you can extract the contents of installer with Universal Extractor (see the updated Guide in the first post) and overwrite old files with new ones.

undine

#13 Post by undine »

I have been using EP for about 2 weeks and have liked it very much. A couple of days ago I was moving several notes from my old program to EP. When I closed the program I got the little window saying....."There were problems managing your profile/s files.....etc". Since then the program seems to work fine, but the window pops up whenever the program is closed. I don't think it is going away. I use Win 7 , 32 bit. Any thoughts on this? THANKS for your FREE program.

3K3

#14 Post by 3K3 »

undine wrote:I have been using EP for about 2 weeks and have liked it very much. THANKS for your FREE program.
Hello undine.
I'm very happy that you like EP and you are welcome. :D
undine wrote:A couple of days ago I was moving several notes from my old program to EP. When I closed the program I got the little window saying....."There were problems managing your profile/s files.....etc". Since then the program seems to work fine, but the window pops up whenever the program is closed.
Restarting EP always did the trick for me. But if message box does pop up every time you close the program, then I would make a "fresh start" of EP.
First make sure that you synchronized all your notes.
Close EP and go to Profile folder. There should be three folders: data, Documents and Evernote.
Make backup of data and Evernote folders and then delete them.
Start EP, sync everything and check if program closes like it suppose to – no message box pop up.
If everything is OK, delete backups.

undine

#15 Post by undine »

Thanks 3K3,
I don't use the cloud function. All my notebooks are LOCAL type. So I can't use the SYNC .
I could EXPORT the notes and then IMPORT them into a new program. Or would this just
move the problem into the new program? THANKS.