This is not a criticism of the program that for the vast majority of users is very useful and intelligent. Still, I was asked what was missing for me and here's what I came up with:
- Command-line parameters are the most obvious, since so many programs here on the site require it.
- Permanence - a way to keep the box visible on the screen at all times. (I just found right before posting that this can be fixed with an INI edit.)
- Directory Freedom - right now the system is setup to just add a folder and the EXE will pop up. This is great for most people, but I'd like to add programs that are below the main directory. For example, xmind insists on storing its executables in \xmind\XMind_Windows. I recall seeing a work-around to make it work with PA, but I'd really just like the flexibility to put a bunch of EXE files into a few subcategories and have them show up in my menu. I have an idea about how to handle that with the current easy system working now, if anyone's curious.
- Confirmation button - (with an available "don't show me this again" checkbox) when you hit eject / close. Mostly because I've accidentally hit this button.
- Minimalism - Capability to make the PortableApps logo and tagline at the top of the window shrink as small as possible. Less important is the ability to collapse/hide the various elements along the right side of the window (Documents, Options, Backup, etc), which I probably wouldn't use.
- Available subcategories. I have a hard time thinking of how to implement this without the next items:
- Drag-and-drop category/file management
- Right-click rename ability for categories and items