12Bytes Software license status

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
dany

Re: AutoClipX - license discussion

#16 Post by dany »

@guiness: ah, yeah, now it makes much more sense. Sorry for the mindblurb.
My 2 cents: developers can do what they want, but it should be reflected correctly in the TPFC database.

atomizer

#17 Post by atomizer »

i said the installer did not download anything unless the user chose to install the 3rd party software. that was an error on my part - i knew there was an executable downloaded, but i forgot that it was downloaded regardless.

i knew what was going on, but i wrote to Install Monetizer just to confirm and, as i stated earlier, they need to know the geographic location of the person running the installer in order to display the proper offer. they also read some registry keys looking for software which they offer and that the user may have already installed - obviously they don't want offer the same product twice. the executable then deletes itself and leaves nothing behind.

in my mind there's no question that my software is both free and portable. the question is, as i'm sure you guys will agree, is whether or not there's an ethical issue and that's entirely up to you folks to decide. i myself could argue that either way, but like i said, the move from shareware to freeware, that only offers to install other s/w, is one i'm happier with.

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

AutoClipX is no longer free for non-commercial use and now listed as shareware on it's home page: [link removed] requiring registration for "privately owned computers or portable media."

As this is not a shareware site, can someone provide a link to the last freeware version? If there's a redistribution clause, I'd like to just take down the entry. A disclaimer has been added.
atomizer wrote: also, sorry for the licensing confusion - i hate licenses period. acx will remain licensed as freeware however for the foreseeable future. i have no plans to change it. as budding developer, it was a very rocky road finding what worked and so i tried several things before settling in on the current model, including shareware, donationware, etc.
What a difference a year makes, apparently.

Note that I am Baas pointed this out and this took longer than it should have for me to get wise to.

---

Edit: Softpedia is listing this program as a demo.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

atomizer

#19 Post by atomizer »

webfork wrote: What a difference a year makes, apparently.
no different than many other developers i suspect - i went through allot of trial and error until i found out what works and what doesn't - i would have liked very much to leave it as freeware, but that didn't work out, at least not with the methods i experimented with

i would suggest removing it from your DB until i release a free version (i'm working on a way to display an ad in the UI without using some such crap as Install Monetizer - i want to display something that is actually useful without any bundled garbage)

i do not wish to provide the last freeware version because of bugs that were present

also, AutoClip Mini is defunct - you might want to remove it

guinness

#20 Post by guinness »

Are you still coding this in AutoIt?

atomizer

#21 Post by atomizer »

yes i am

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

atomizer wrote:
webfork wrote: What a difference a year makes, apparently.
no different than many other developers i suspect
No, going the adware/commercial route might be fairly common but you're seriously the ONLY dev I've seen since I started here who repeatedly changes their license like this.
atomizer wrote:until i release a free version
You mean your upcoming soon-to-go-commercial version? The one you'll post about and then you'll change your mind in 6 months?
atomizer wrote:also, AutoClip Mini is defunct - you might want to remove it
I think the current disclaimer is more than adequate.

atomizer

#23 Post by atomizer »

so remove my software and then you'll have nothing to cry about!

given your attitude, i'd rather not be listed anyway

sorry i didn't conform to your expectations... have a great day

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

atomizer wrote:given your attitude, i'd rather not be listed anyway
A lot of freeware devs don't have the knowledge, cash, or time to promote themselves so I take a certain amount of pride in trying to help out with that. So yes: I take it personally when I think someone's exploiting that.