What about Vista?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
teobromina

What about Vista?

#1 Post by teobromina »

May be it is too early, but it could be good idea to know how many of our now portable freeware runs on Vista (32 or 64 bits).

Has someone any experience on this subject?:roll:

*JT.

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

I propose a simple solution....

Don't run Vista. :twisted:

It's a good point but I don't know enough about Vista to know how many apps will be compatible. I'm assuming Vista will have a certain level of backwards compatibility (as XP has compatibility mode for 95, although it doesn't always work!)

Italia

#3 Post by Italia »

Yes, Microsoft Windows Vista is not good for operating systems. It is slow and bad. I must with "darkbee".

Sorry for bad English.

Simon.T

#4 Post by Simon.T »

lets go to linux!!! :P

phreak

#5 Post by phreak »

There is really no reason to change from WinXP to Vista. Don`t use Vista. nsa backdoor and to much spyware like drm, genius...

teobromina

No Vista at all

#6 Post by teobromina »

Simon.T wrote: lets go to linux!!!
Reflexion: :!: :?:

I have been simultaneing Windows and Linux since last five years. I started with old Slakware 4, Red Hat 6 and Mandrake (Now Mandriva) 7.

After a survey of more that 400 distributions (Including updates) corresponding to not less than 100 different kinds of Linux and BSD, I choosed three graphical desktop 'live' (no-install) to be the best: Damn Small Linux ("50 Mb of Penguin Power"), Puppy Linux (65 Mb), and Slax (200 Mb). Both three have 'optional', 'extensions', 'modules' no-install, etc. to use at run time that cover much of the programs that go tied to hundreds of packets in the mainstream distributions. In the three mentioned instead, you may choose which extensions made sense in your case, and do not need to carry the apps you do not like it or not use it. Translation: I like to use a non-install applications collection to run onto a non-install Linux, to write on a non-install pendrive. 8)

I regret to have to buy a new computer, that I do not need, just to play with the last OS issued by MS. I regret that most of the power of computers is devoted to increase the complexity of the 'envelope' (desktop) but not to increase the contens (effective calculus power). I wonder how the actual generation could reach the moon with so old computer specimens available in the sixties... In fact I have not recovered, with the new spreadsheet programs, the capacity of the old Lotus 123 spreadsheet version 3 that I had 20 years ago, running on a i386.

:idea:

I am on the verge to decide not to update Windows any more, and to spend my free time to learn more how to take profit to Linux.

May be is time to go Linux :lol: :lol:

*JT.

FlightGeek

If the point is portability, you can't ignore Vista

#7 Post by FlightGeek »

For me, at least, the point of portable apps on a pen drive is to have my familiar tools available on computers I don't own.

Computers that I own have FreeBSD installed along with all my favorite applications.

It's for the computers at work, school, internet cafes etc. that I don't own and whose owners don't want me installing anything on their computers. The owners of these computers generally don't object to portable apps after a virus scan, but will freak out at the suggestion of booting a "hacker" operating system (I know, I know...) and it is useless to argue.

:arrow: Coming to the point: Vista, in time, will become as ubiquitous as Windows XP is now. Love it or lump it.

Simon.T

#8 Post by Simon.T »

the only things that i need are:

im - gaim

office suit - openoffice

web browser - firefox (and its add-ons)

swf and flv player - for funny animations and some fun games

some more mind games (maybe babo violent 2)

radio (streaming) player

good security softwares

irfanview??? :cry: nevermind :?

thats it i guess

i'll go to fedora or maybe to suse (50$ less or more) (i tried slax and i didn't like it, but still...)

Simon.T

#9 Post by Simon.T »

I just wanted to let you know about the ReactOS Project

home: http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

faq: http://www.reactos.org/en/about_userfaq.html

have fun! :wink:

teobromina

ReactOS

#10 Post by teobromina »

Simon: Thank you for your post. I made some trials with a former edition of ReactOS when it was so small that fit exactly in a floppy image. And I forgot later about ReactOS. Now I see that the system is growing and for me this are very good news.

I have just downloaded the live distro and I am going to test it.

I see that it could be another field to cover: The portability of our Win32 apps to this OS. :lol:

*JT.

teobromina

ReactOS 0.3: Still not mature to my taste

#11 Post by teobromina »

I made yesterday some trials with the recently downloaded actual version of ReactOS. I got the Qemu emulation version and the live one. Only the Qemu distribution was running in my computers. The live CD booted but never really started the OS itself: it never passed the splash screen of the begginning. Bad luck! :cry:

Therefore, my best option, as alternative for Windows, is still Linux with enabled Wine (like Slax Killbill does) to run my Windows portable apps. :lol:

http://www.slax.org/

*JT.

teobromina

Mala vista

#12 Post by teobromina »

Searching for more information on Vista I found this page:

http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-wi ... dows-vista

:cry:

*JT.

Simon.T

#13 Post by Simon.T »

teobromina!? I don't understand why you are in this :cry: kind of mood about Vista? :?

teobromina

Not me

#14 Post by teobromina »

Nothing with me. I am sad :( for those that still want to use such an OS that, according to the comments I am finding, makes the life more difficult to computer users. But not for me. I am Linux fan as I told earlier, and think that the OS of the future has to be a kind of evolved Linux, which is able to run any executable, no matter for what OS has been written: when it is compiled for Unix, will run it as an Unix executable, and when it is compiled for Windows will emulate the Windows OS for that specific executable.

Presently there are few OS that are delivered that way. Slax live Linux KillBill edition has the Wine emulator build in, and the more trials I made with it I like more: About 2/3 of my preferred portable apps can run in Slax without need to make anything from my side. I just hit on the exe file and that is all. Also the PStart app is launching programs in Slax. I am posting some of my experiences in the specific subforum for Apps that run under emulation. http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... um.php?f=7

:lol:

Regards.

*JT.

Simon.T

#15 Post by Simon.T »

Same for me.
I'm happy for you and all the freedom fans around.

I'm truly so feeling sorry about this big corporation, oops I meant this huge HELL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , that has no shame and steal money from innocent people (that don't know any other option, or don't know what they really want, or need) for this piece of shit OS which is slow and crashing...

example: compare the "good old" Start to ASuite see those tiny dudes ASuite's Team that can do the same thing, but way way much much BETTER!!!! why microsoft cant update this shitty OS with a damn "service pack".... ooohhh a service pack with a FIREWALL... RIIIIIIIIGHT A FireWall... ohh bill thank you for your "kindness" but... no no its not it... I'm using other FireWall, yours is not good enough, oops IT'S NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!! I'm using a better FREE firewall like Comodo Free Firewall

those EXAMPLES are a very very few of MANY MANY MOOOOOOORE of this CURSED system!!
STOP STEALING MY MONEY YOU DAMN CRAZY PEOPLE

normal people... Just go to LINUX baby!!!

OpenOffice.org Office Suite
Scribus - Open Source Desktop Publishing
Firefox - Web Browser
Kino - Video Editor
Tor: anonymity online
TorK - An Anonymity Manager For The KDE Desktop
BFilter - Filtering Web Proxy
Torpark (will be)
Pidgin - A multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client (formerly Gaim)
XChat - IRC chat program
Miranda IM Portable (working under Wine)
Stellarium - A free open source planetarium
Civil Netizen (still waiting...)
qBittorrent - Free and reliable Bittorrent client

And so much more and more and more, just ask for it! :P and you got it! its for YOU, yep YOU only for YOU and not for some kind of ASSHOLE's pocket!! Did I mentioned that its all open source and free?

Need info of what Linux OS to check?
Just go to DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. by the way, if you ask me, I think more like this DistroWatch.com: Put the fun for the first time into computing. Use Linux, BSD.