Is Opera 12 standard portable or not ? (3)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

Is Opera 12 standard portable or not ? (3)

#1 Post by guinness »

After a successful 9 months of updating the sub-form Is Opera 11 standard portable or not ? with the original idea from user joby_toss, the new question now is "Is Opera 12 standard portable or not ?"

I decided to continue once again with tradition as the last forum was very successful, a total of 231 posts were created during the process of "Opera Swordfish" & with the development package "Opera Next" being available we can all jump on the band wagon helping out the Opera Team. My only wish for this release (if they're watching) is not to write to the Registry when in USB mode or make it optional at least.

Download & Details: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... pera-wahoo (Thanks Emka!)

Note: The wording of the question is somewhat confusing, but continuing with tradition I used the same question and replacing Opera 11 with Opera 12. Ideally the question should have been/be "Is Opera XX Portable Or Not?" :D

joby_toss

Re: Is Opera 12 standard portable or not ?

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Same level of portability.

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Thanks for confirming. :D

Emka

#4 Post by Emka »

A new snapshot with many core fixes is available at http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... -on-a-diet

zak_711

#5 Post by zak_711 »

Site: http://pastebin.com/
Sharecode: BBAnGzrp
Last edited by zak_711 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

PortableApps is already hosting a Portable Version of Opera & secondly you haven't really explained anything, an INI file isn't sufficient enough to create a Portable application. Now I know this is related to the WinPenPack launcher (just because I recognise the format,) but if your purpose is for users to use your INI file then your post has to have more substance and quality to it.

An average user will click on the link, see the text and move on.

zak_711

#7 Post by zak_711 »

I post this 'cause the version you' re talking about is pretty buggy as it doesn't recognize any other localization than english, but this doesn' t really matters; there is an additional purpose; you can use this tool to make portable almost everything; I have used a default installation ( stand alone ) from the 11.50_int_Setup and I have put the Opera folder in Bin as usually; nothing special, the usual structure; I think it was too elementary for WinPenPack and probably they didn't do it. The ini works with Wahoo too. I think it's important to have free alternatives ( to portability ), rather than a monopolistic situation; and if you don' t have them, built them yourself !
Last edited by zak_711 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taotra

#8 Post by taotra »

Users of Opera browser have superior intelligence to those of other browsers. It's official now. :wink:

http://us.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/07/29/i ... ?hpt=hp_t2

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

taotra wrote:Users of Opera browser have superior intelligence to those of other browsers.
I think this is more about default vs. installed software:

1. A good percentage of users don't install software and just use what they're given
2. Some of those who solved the problem of how to install software and learn new tools of course have better analysis / problem solving skills
3. IQ tests focus on those proficiencies
4. Therefore, people who use installed software are more intelligent than people who use default software (statistically)

taotra

#10 Post by taotra »

webfork wrote: 4. Therefore, people who use installed software are more intelligent than people who use default software (statistically)
Makes sense, but that still wouldn't explain the difference between e.g. Firefox (slightly above average intelligence), a presumably installed software, and Opera (exceptionally intelligent).

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

I think you also have to look at the fan base of Opera too. Opera's been around for over 15 years so of course the average user is probably slightly older than say your Google Chrome user, which has been going for only 3 years (Sept '08) ;)

And I love Opera because it has so much functionality that you do have to do a little bit of reading to fully unleash the beast! :D

zak_711

#12 Post by zak_711 »

Another review here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/236944/i ... k.rss_news

I think it's a fake survey.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

taotra wrote:
webfork wrote: 4. Therefore, people who use installed software are more intelligent than people who use default software (statistically)
Makes sense, but that still wouldn't explain the difference between e.g. Firefox (slightly above average intelligence), a presumably installed software, and Opera (exceptionally intelligent).
Of those that install software, a larger percentage have heard of Firefox than Opera, simply as a result of more advertising. Although Chrome has more advertising power than any of them (links to it are all over Google), it lacks the grass-roots support of Firefox.

Of these separate groups, users who actively seek out a specific browser solution are software people, who have the problem solving skills necessary to do well on an IQ test. As Opera will have the largest percentage of software people, it will have the largest percentage of high-IQ folk.

Note: I'd like to add that there are more than one form of intelligence than the kind measured by the IQ test. I don't know who said it, but I think genius is what you do, not what you are.

zak_711

#14 Post by zak_711 »

WTF, what does it got ?

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

For the first time in many years I'm very close to ditch Opera. This download-crash bug is driving me insane! :evil: I hope they fix this for the next release. I might never use an unstable version again. I'm so upset. This bug is there for 2 weeks I think. I know they work hard, but my patience really is limited!

Complaining, complaining, complaining...this seems to by my main quality lately... :oops: