Is Opera 12 standard portable or not ? (3)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Emka

Re: Is Opera 12 standard portable or not ?

#31 Post by Emka »

When one of the first alphas of 12 was published, they mentioned that a new kind of email storage was implemented which could not be downgraded.
The thing is that I have an older notebook which I use for playing around with alpha and beta versions and so on and I also use OperaNext on it with a set up email account. On my ususal, productive machine I use the usual Opera with the same set up email account. Now my question is whether an update of Opera Next on my testing machine would screw up the mail account I use in Opera on my productive machine. Has anyone got any experience with that?

guinness

#32 Post by guinness »

OperaNext & Opera are separate packages, so neither one will touch each other.

the_watcher

#33 Post by the_watcher »

nice -welcome- changes! (looks like they messed up the file download dialog...)
it's still an alpha version though, so they might fix it later!

guinness

#34 Post by guinness »

If you want to search TPFC via Opera then add this by navigating to Settings >> Preferences >> Search >> Add.

Code: Select all

http://www.google.com/search?q=%s&sourceid=opera&as_sitesearch=www.portablefreeware.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Ref: http://www.google.com/cse/docs/resultsxml.html#Overview
Last edited by guinness on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

tproli

#35 Post by tproli »

I'm using this:

Code: Select all

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=%s&m=Search

guinness

#36 Post by guinness »

I've always found the PhpBB search feature to be very limited hence why I use google as a secondary searching tool.

guinness

#37 Post by guinness »

Opera 12 alpha is now available feature WebGL support and the long awaited full hardware acceleration!

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20 ... a-12-alpha

freakazoid

#38 Post by freakazoid »

I've tried out the new alpha. I like the fact that the bookmark star is back in the address bar!

My graphics card doesn't support the hardware acceleration touted in the v12 alpha. However, I've read that some alpha users are experiencing some bugs with it. (Of course, that can be expected! It's an alpha after all!)
is it stealth? ;)

Magibon

#39 Post by Magibon »

anyone familiar with Opera Adblock Extension?
i searched the Extension's official webpage/documenation but was unable to find an anwer.

Does anyone know where the Extension stores it's 'Urlfilter.ini' and CSS Style Sheet?
I have mine stored in the "Profile" folder, and i've been manually updating with Fanboys.
I also have a personal list that i add to.
Note: i moved it to the Profile Folder because im running Opera in Portable Mode.

But Adblock does not seem to work for me.
I have a feeling it's related to the 'urlfilter.ini' and CSS style sheet location.
I let it run for a few days and it doesn't even update those 2 files.
My personal list is not used either.. even after entering it into Adblock's Preferences.

Thanks ahead of time.

the_watcher

#40 Post by the_watcher »

that's because the adblock extension does not use opera's urlfilter.ini. it works with it's own files. can't tell how, though.
and if you want to create your own rules, you can add them to the 'personal list' section, in adblock's preferences.
then you restart opera, and voila! :) [restart is necessary]

Magibon

#41 Post by Magibon »

the_watcher wrote:that's because the adblock extension does not use opera's urlfilter.ini. it works with it's own files. can't tell how, though.
and if you want to create your own rules, you can add them to the 'personal list' section, in adblock's preferences.
then you restart opera, and voila! :) [restart is necessary]

that's what i assumed..
i entered my own custom list into the 'Preferences' (for testing), but does not work for me.
(i left it installed for a few days, restarted multiple times)
(i also kept a checksum of the urlfilter.ini/css to see if it was being updated)

I searched in every possible corner in all the available documentation, but can't find where or how it works with the urlfilter (it's own list).

If you read on Fanboy's page, it says to save in 'AppData > Roaming', but since i use Opera in USB/Portable mode, it's on 'D' Drive.
thus i save the CSS Style sheet/urlfilter.ini in D://PortableApps/Opera/Profile

im thinking this may be the problem and why it doesn't work..
Opera AdBlock may not be compatible with USB/Portable mode because i have a feeling it assumes Opera is installed in C drive.

Thanks for your suggestion though ..

the_watcher

#42 Post by the_watcher »

Magibon wrote:If you read on Fanboy's page, it says to save in 'AppData > Roaming'
if you had opera installed, that's where it's profile folder would be..
he's referring to normal installations of opera. if you use it as a portable app, it's "profile" folder is inside it's installation folder. NO MATTER where that is. you can have it on you c: drive, or your d: drive , or wherever you want.

opera's extensions are saved in the widgets folder, which is inside the profile folder.

if the adblock extension is not working for you, you can try uninstalling it and reinstalling it again.i have used it for quite some time, and added a few rules of my own, and it seemed to work well.
maybe you could try to setup a different portable opera with a new profile, to test it.

Magibon

#43 Post by Magibon »

the_watcher wrote:
Magibon wrote:If you read on Fanboy's page, it says to save in 'AppData > Roaming'
if you had opera installed, that's where it's profile folder would be..
he's referring to normal installations of opera. if you use it as a portable app, it's "profile" folder is inside it's installation folder. NO MATTER where that is. you can have it on you c: drive, or your d: drive , or wherever you want.

opera's extensions are saved in the widgets folder, which is inside the profile folder.

if the adblock extension is not working for you, you can try uninstalling it and reinstalling it again.i have used it for quite some time, and added a few rules of my own, and it seemed to work well.
maybe you could try to setup a different portable opera with a new profile, to test it.

thanks for your input but i've tried all of that..
it seems there are other people who seem to have problems as well ..
when i initially installed Adblock.. i thought it was working but Opera was just using my old Fanboy CSS/urlfilter..

After i cleared out those 2 files for testing.. that's when i realized it wasn't working.

No big deal.. i'll just manually update.
would be nice if there was a tool like 'HostsMan' that could merge the urlfilter.ini, find duplicates and allow for a personal list.
this way i don't have to keep visiting the sites to block specific ads that are missed.

EDIT:
I found a solution :)
The most task-intensive part was re-entering my personal list.
But i just realized ESET is capable of accepting a list for blocking.
This solves my problem.
Now all i have to do is download the updated 'urlfilter.ini' and CSS and im complete.
My personal list will always be active :)

Magibon

#44 Post by Magibon »

UPDATE:
just wanted to let everyone know i figured out what the problem was..

after adding my personal list, it takes approximately 2 restarts for it to take affect.
and it doesn't matter where you have your style sheet ...

Opera Ad-block does work.. just give it a few restarts after installing ..

the_watcher

#45 Post by the_watcher »

did opera changed duckduckgo search engine for blekko in v.11.61?
i'm looking for information concerning the change, but i can't find anything