Display multilanguage support at entries

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
tproli

Display multilanguage support at entries

#1 Post by tproli »

How about displaying a line like this in the description area?

Multilanguage support: Yes | No | Limited

For non-English users that would be very useful.

infimum

Re: Display multilanguage support at entries

#2 Post by infimum »

It's useless if languages are not listed. But listing them would be a pain. Another issue is to check if the user interface (which is what I am assuming you are talking about aside from general unicode support) is completely unicode compatible. For example, change the UI to Chinese on a Russian Windows. The last time I checked Delphi didn't support this.

All in all, it would be a pain. Not many people are checking the general unicode support as is.

tproli

#3 Post by tproli »

I see your point but I don't agree entirely. I was collecting portable apps yesterday and it would have been a great help if I could see if an application listed here supports other languages besides English (GUI, yes) or not. So I think a simple yes/no would make sense. I agree that listing all supported langs would be a pain.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I think a simple yes/no would make sense.
No :D - you did say simple.

I agree with infimum on this, plus its great TPFC DB entries are informative, but I don't think it should get to the point when we are spoon feeding every little bit of information to the end user.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

I think it could be added in Synopsis field if anyone wants that. I'll try it on STDUviewer.

JohnTHaller

#6 Post by JohnTHaller »

infimum wrote:For example, change the UI to Chinese on a Russian Windows. The last time I checked Delphi didn't support this.
It does now and the current 2.0 Beta of the PortableApps.com Platform (written in Delphi 2010) will show Chinese (Simplified or Traditional) on Russian Windows without issue. It didn't use to because Delphi used to be ANSI only.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Checker

#7 Post by Checker »

guinness wrote:No :D - you did say simple.
Agree :wink:

This will lead into a permanet checking/update of available language files.

Wolfghost

#8 Post by Wolfghost »

Checker wrote:
guinness wrote:No :D - you did say simple.
Agree :wink:

This will lead into a permanet checking/update of available language files.
I don't agree :wink:
because the most 99% updates incl. language files for prog with multilanguage :wink:
BTW I think this is stupid suggestion, but it's me you know :wink:
We display web site and with one click you get your language if it is multilanguage :wink:

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:...its great TPFC DB entries are informative, but I don't think it should get to the point when we are spoon feeding every little bit of information to the end user.
I agree that there is a space limitation on every entry and providing a complete dossier on every entry is a bad idea, but the dominance of English in technology is slowing. Our site is for the most part English-only and that's unlikely to change, but foreign visitors know some English or use translation software to navigate the website in the first place. From there, if we become a jumping-off point for software that is available in their language, that means higher search engine rankings and traffic.

Additionally, I like working on a freeware site is that it to some extent bridges the digital divide by making software available to people who have little money and may only use shared computers. Expanding that group to non-English speakers would only improve that.
tproli wrote:How about displaying a line like this in the description area?

Multilanguage support: Yes | No | Limited
I wouldn't describe a program that supports one other language as just "multi-lingual"; if a program supports one other obscure language, that's not meaningful. Instead, I would list the top 10 major world languages: Chinese and Spanish especially as they have more speakers than English. Followed by Arabic, Hindi, Portuguese, Bengali, Russian, Japanese and German (source) and "Other".

Note that there may be a way to combine languages listed: Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Catalan are all similar so if you speak one, you can usually muddle your way through. Written Chinese is the same way.

Checker

#10 Post by Checker »

Wolfghost wrote:I don't agree :wink:
because the most 99% updates incl. language files for prog with multilanguage :wink:
That's right, but if we add this information (the way like joby_toss did here)
I have to check permanently if a new language has been added.
Wolfghost wrote:We display web site and with one click you get your language if it is multilanguage :wink:
That's the way :!:

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Checker wrote:I have to check permanently if a new language has been added.
If Andrew wishes to implement this, I recommend the field be optional much like the animated GIF screenshots, whats new, and Unicode info.

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

Checker wrote:That's right, but if we add this information (the way like joby_toss did here)
I have to check permanently if a new language has been added.
In STDUviewer's case it was simple.

But what if we have to deal with apps like Gimp? There are so many languages supported! Should we list them all? I don't think it is feasible. Should we just write "Multilanguage support: Yes" ? How would the user know it also includes his language, too? And if he already is here on TPFC, he must understand some English, right?
So many problems arise ...

In my opinion, the best way to deal with this problem and some others that might appear, is to have another link on the same row with Website, Screenshot, Download etc., named Additional Info, or Extra or whatever, that links to another page that would basically look like Synopsis field. Although there is the Website link where "additional" info can be found, the Extra link would be filled with more TPFC specific info, so we don't have a cluttered main page.

tproli

#13 Post by tproli »

I wouldn't thought that my proposal will cause such a debate :)

For me displaying a link would be far enough. You are mainly thinking about the "Yes" case and how to display the info then but I think "No" is also very informative. For example, If I would see "No" I would stop searching for localisation support. So a linkified "Yes" and a dull "No" is OK to me. Perhaps in cases when the app contains all language file itself, there could be a third option like "built-in" or something.

It's funny that I use English apps in 99% of the case (probably the text processor is the only exception) but I see a lot of people around me who struggle with non-localised apps. In most cases they even switch to the second/third best app just because they don't understand the GUI. They fault, I know.

Edit:
And if he already is here on TPFC, he must understand some English, right?
Partly, imo. There are apps that one would rather use on their native language, for example the text processor I mentioned above. And ppl may collect apps not only for theirself but their family, friends, etc.

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

I wouldn't thought that my proposal will cause such a debate :)
It does because not many users update TPFC DB entries (sometimes me included) so its one more thing to check and add/update. Multiply this entry with the number of applications that are updated and it does take more time. :D

Another option, just like with the animated screenshots, is if you want to add something similar to what joby_toss did, then by all means!

Checker

#15 Post by Checker »

I don't think a simple yes/no entry will help/be informative.
Maybe on app has an english, frensh, spanish and italian language support. So the database entry will show up a "yes", but will this help me, if I'm looking for a german language support? ... No :!:
So we have to add all the languages to be informative ... and this leads me to the point:
guinness wrote:It does because not many users update TPFC DB entries (sometimes me included) so its one more thing to check and add/update. Multiply this entry with the number of applications that are updated and it does take more time. :D
I'm just one of that "lazy folk @ TFPC" ... maybe I'm simply to lazy to do this job, too :D
Last edited by Checker on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.