Comments suggestion

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
dstrout

Comments suggestion

#1 Post by dstrout »

I think the way comments should work should be changed. They way it is currently set up, the newest comments are at the bottom, and the more relevant, recent ones are buried all the way at the bottom. I don't know how the comments are set up, but it shouldn't be too hard to reverse the order in which they are displayed, so the recent ones are displayed at the top.

webfork

Re: Comments suggestion

#2 Post by webfork »

dstrout wrote:I think the way comments should work should be changed. They way it is currently set up, the newest comments are at the bottom, and the more relevant, recent ones are buried all the way at the bottom. I don't know how the comments are set up, but it shouldn't be too hard to reverse the order in which they are displayed, so the recent ones are displayed at the top.
That's a good idea but there's a ranking system that's been discussed, which might address that recent comments aren't necessarily the best. Would you be more in favor of that?

dstrout

#3 Post by dstrout »

That sounds good too, but there's no reason they can't both be done. Recent comments may not necessarily be the best, but they are usually more relevant than the old ones.

Napiophelios

#4 Post by Napiophelios »

I think that dstrout's suggestion should be something users could configure in theri profile settings and maybe stored in theri cookies
I personally get alot of info from older comments and its just easier to read a page from top to bottom.
What I really dont like is when you click the comments link you are sent directly to the most recent comment (bottom of the list)
Why this isnt good enough I dont know it seems to be exactly what you require.
To me its annoying as hell cuz I like to follow the dialogue that happens often enough in the comments section.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think the way comments should work should be changed. They way it is currently set up, the newest comments are at the bottom, and the more relevant, recent ones are buried all the way at the bottom. I don't know how the comments are set up, but it shouldn't be too hard to reverse the order in which they are displayed, so the recent ones are displayed at the top.
Thing is, a lot of the comments don't exist in isolation. They are part of a conversation. And it's more difficult to follow a conversation if the order is reversed i.e. recent to past.

Also, since the "Add comment" section is at the bottom, it is easier to add to a conversation if recent comments are at the bottom.

dstrout

#6 Post by dstrout »

Fair enough. How about what Napiophelios suggested: make it an option people could configure. As to the "add comments" being at the bottom, what about YouTube style: Add Comment right under the app.

wirrerork

#7 Post by wirrerork »

a bit off topic: Since comments cannot be moderated, is it possible to have a url to the app without the Popular searches, Popular titles and so on section. I tried to make a website monitor notify me of new comments, but the content of the webpage frequently changes. i could need a static page, where only comments change once they are added.

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

@wirrerork: I am working on the comments RSS feed, and it should be really by end of this week. So you shouldn't need to develop a website monitor for new comments, just subscribe to the feed!

wirrerork

#9 Post by wirrerork »

thx. this a good news.

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

@ Andrew Lee

Could you disable url links in comments?

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

@I am Baas: Why?

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

Andrew Lee wrote:@I am Baas: Why?
The recent flood of spammy links just got to me... annoying.

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

Its comments like this (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1703#18459) that make you wonder what use are the "Comments Sections" when all People* do is abuse it. Instead of User(s) moaning about the frequent updating of certain programs or the lack of sufficient Screenshot data, the attention/energy should be geared towards those that waste time, money and effort on posting pointless comments. This privilege of commenting for non-members should be taken away in my opinion.

I like the new enhancement to comments, but it really brings it home how much Server Space is wasted. I feel sorry for you Andrew. :D

*or Bots

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Instead of User(s) moaning about the frequent updating of certain programs or the lack of sufficient Screenshot data, the attention/energy should be geared towards those that waste time, money and effort on posting pointless comments. This privilege of commenting for non-members should be taken away in my opinion.
Ideally the system should be used to comment on a program as good or bad, to quickly and easily provide notice that an update is available, or to give a workaround for something that's broken. You're right that the vast majority of comments are total crap and that if the total output of work done to moderate these doesn't equal the benefits, something should be done.

Maybe more generic responses "there's a new / similar version", "love/hate this software" and "not really portable" should be available by default (some kind of polling system) and all other responses go into some kind of approval process.

Andrew has said he's working on something for this so I'll wait and see.

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

Maybe more generic responses "there's a new / similar version", "love/hate this software" and "not really portable" should be available by default (some kind of polling system) and all other responses go into some kind of approval process.
This would be very welcome :D
...some kind of approval process.
The only problem I can see is who is going to be assigned the arduous task of moderating the comments?